2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

40 amp fuse in PDC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 PM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 amp fuse in PDC

Hello everybody,
It has been a while since my last visit here.
I need some input please!!!
1997 RAM1500 auto 5.9 v8 gasoline.
for years it seemed like my neutral safety switch was out of adjustment?! If I put the shift lever into park with authority it would start just fine. if it were placed into park delicately (like when my wife parks!!!) it wont engage the starter, until you use authority.
any how, the last time it acted up, it was more than this... it blew the 40 amp fuse labelled ign. run. I swapped the one for the trailer in its place and it worked for a few starts. now every time I replace that fuse it blows when key is turned to start position. if I put key to run position and jump solenoid it starts right up. And the starter turns good like no problem.???? could the solenoid have a short ????
Thanks in advance for any tips
Mike

Old 06-15-2016, 09:56 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The P/N switch thing is, or at any rate every time I've seen it has been, just a linkage adjustment. There are lots of places the coupler widget can go but a narrower range of places that are right.

The electrical troubleshooting is a lot less certain. What happens if you set the switch to run, and engage the starter by jumping the appropriate relay contact terminals in the PDC?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are still using the solenoid to shift the starter into position, so I assume that's not it. Something in your ign switch assembly maybe? That's what you seem to be bypassing when you jump the solenoid.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Switch, and starter relay......

Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The P/N switch thing is, or at any rate every time I've seen it has been, just a linkage adjustment. There are lots of places the coupler widget can go but a narrower range of places that are right.

The electrical troubleshooting is a lot less certain. What happens if you set the switch to run, and engage the starter by jumping the appropriate relay contact terminals in the PDC?
thank you, I am not to concerned about the adjustment of the neutral park safety switch. unless it is the cause of this fuse blowing, I doubt it is the problem, but hey stranger electrical devise problems do occur!
as far as the relay in the PDC, I don't know where that relay is located, all I notice in this fuse ( PDC) are those big "maxi" fuses?
I am putting the key switch to the run position, and "jumping" the starter solenoid. it starts, runs fine, and does not blow that 40 amp fuse.
maybe i'm calling the wrong electric fuse box the PDC
thank you

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by dbbd1
You are still using the solenoid to shift the starter into position, so I assume that's not it. Something in your ign switch assembly maybe? That's what you seem to be bypassing when you jump the solenoid.
thank you!
Yeah, I thought that also, BUT, is there enough current traveling through the ignition (key switch)? I've always thought ignition switches to be a low amperage devise?, and I'm really not looking forward to getting into the column and changing it out I just wondered if solenoids could short out and draw mad amount of current? But your ABSOLUTEY right, if the solenoid , or starter had issues, they would act up when jumping the solenoid

Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Both of you have given me food for thought to ponder THANK YOU

Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Switch, and starter relay......
HeyYou, where is the starter relay located?
Thanks

Old 06-15-2016, 10:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

In the PDC. There should be a legend on the cover. (inside) If you don't have the cover, it's also in the service manual. (did someone point you at the download?)

The ignition switch IS low current. It just provides ground path for the relay control circuit. Then the relay engergizes the solenoid. You are bypassing that entire section of the circuit by jumping it at the starter.

So, replace the fuse, pull the starter relay, turn the key to start. (it won't), does it still blow the fuse?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In the PDC. There should be a legend on the cover. (inside) If you don't have the cover, it's also in the service manual. (did someone point you at the download?)

The ignition switch IS low current. It just provides ground path for the relay control circuit. Then the relay engergizes the solenoid. You are bypassing that entire section of the circuit by jumping it at the starter.

So, replace the fuse, pull the starter relay, turn the key to start. (it won't), does it still blow the fuse?
Thank you!!! the relays are located in that black plastic box on the drivers side engine compartment, next to the battery?

I'm on it, tomorrow after work

Quick Reply: 40 amp fuse in PDC