2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram 1500 p0304

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 PM
kfd518
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you I certainly appreciate the direction so far. Quite helpful. I knowost of the ins and outs of ford efi small block trucks but this dodge thing is a new beast. Seems as though they are pretty picky about what electronics go into them as well.

Next issue to tackle is the abs light. Not on near as much as it was before cleaning up that terminal connection though.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:08 PM
kfd518
Amateur

Still fighting with this issue, have not been able to do leak down test yet. Got to thinking about some things though, I replaced the Pcv valve aftermarket shortly before this code began popping up. Vacuum port for Pcv valve is right beside #4 intake runner. This issue sets a code at very low speed and appears to be on deceleration looking at the freeze frame data I have kept track of. Low rpm, low speed.
What are the chances that it could be the Pcv valve allowing excessive oil to pass and getting drawn near direct in to the #4 runner. In turn creating deposits on valve and decreasing compression as they form? Sea foam has helped the issue a couple of times.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

With burning oil, it is more often a buildup of crud on the valves, that prevents them from sealing completely. (hence, the leakdown test) Using seafoam on it helping a bit kinda points in that direction too....

Get a pcv valve from the dealer. They are actually the correct flow rate.... unlike the aftermarket fellers, which can be real hit and miss.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 PM
kfd518
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
With burning oil, it is more often a buildup of crud on the valves, that prevents them from sealing completely. (hence, the leakdown test) Using seafoam on it helping a bit kinda points in that direction too....

Get a pcv valve from the dealer. They are actually the correct flow rate.... unlike the aftermarket fellers, which can be real hit and miss.
I guess that's what I was getting at that the oil was getting sucked right by because of to much (improper cal.) getting through Pcv. Gonna try it local dodge house has on coming in. Apparently they don't stock it. Worth a try. Time has been limited lately with 2 little ones. 24 hr shift for me 12 for the wife.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:42 PM
kfd518
Amateur

Originally Posted by kfd518
I guess that's what I was getting at that the oil was getting sucked right by because of to much (improper cal.) getting through Pcv. Gonna try it local dodge house has on coming in. Apparently they don't stock it. Worth a try. Time has been limited lately with 2 little ones. 24 hr shift for me 12 for the wife.
New Pcv installed and have not had this code since.

Getting p0740 again now after anti drain back valve delete. Looking into adding a ground to tranny unless any other suggestions are around out there.

Quick Reply: 99 ram 1500 p0304