2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Power to Coils?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:34 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power to Coils?

I have a 1999 Ram 2500 V10 8.0L I just did a lot of work to the truck and now I don't have any power to the coils. I installed a used short block. Everything on the motor is off the motor that was running before I replaced it. I spun a bearing and chewed up the crank real bad on the old motor. I have replaced motors before and never had an issue like this. I cant figure out why there is no power to the coils. I swapped out the crank position sensor and that did not make any difference. Is there a way to test the cam and crank sensors? Would they cause there not to be any power to the coils? The very first thing I did when I started the project is remove the battery as I always do. I have checked and double checked the connections on all the sensors and I cant find any thing. Any ideas you guys have would be great. I'm no super great mechanic but I have done projects like this many times and never had an issue like this before so I am at wits end trying to figure this out. Thank you for any help you guys can give me.

Last edited by sandman0_0; 07-21-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

If the v-10 is any like it's smaller siblings, you will only see power on the coils for about three seconds after you turn the key, unless the PCM sees the motor turning. So, it may just be your testing method..... and your real problem lies elsewhere.

Grab a friend to help, and see if you get the initial three seconds of power, AND power while the engine is cranking. Does the fuel pump prime?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:41 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the v-10 is any like it's smaller siblings, you will only see power on the coils for about three seconds after you turn the key, unless the PCM sees the motor turning. So, it may just be your testing method..... and your real problem lies elsewhere.

Grab a friend to help, and see if you get the initial three seconds of power, AND power while the engine is cranking. Does the fuel pump prime?
I am getting fuel, I had a friend come over and he cranked it over for me. I had no spark at all. I did not know about the 3 seconds so I will check that out tomorrow as well as check it with the motor cranking. Like I said though I put a spark tester on it and it had no spark. Is there anything else I can test or should be looking for? It seam to me it has to something simple because it ran when I pulled it out. I must be missing something?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 AM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Does anyone if the cam position sensor is bad would that disrupt power to the coils?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It might, but, would be more likely to set a code, as the PCM wouldn't know what injector to fire.

Check several cylinders for spark. There are two modules under the coil packs. One does six cylinders, they other does 4, be sure and test both.

If it ran when you took it out, it's probably something simple. Check for blown fuses, just for giggles.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur

I got it figured out, Talked to a guy at the auto parts store had the same problem, He told me what his problem was, I knew as soon as he said it, that was the problem and he was right. It was all on me.. I never checked the reluctor wheel, I never gave it thought that there were different ones. I pulled the cover and sure enough enough, The one on the engine had notches, The one on my old engine had steps. I have it almost back together now, I will finish it up in the morning and get it fired up. I am getting ready to start a new thread if I cant find the answer searching thru here about my A/C. Thanks for your help,

Old 07-23-2016, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well that's always fun. Year to year changes can bite ya.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:05 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Looks like 94 & 95 were the same and the 96-01 were the same? It went pretty fast, and at least everything was clean from just putting it together. Took me a couple hours and it was up and running.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:27 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is this "reluctor wheel" of which we speak?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Front of the cam snout I believe. Sensor reads thru the timing cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Power to Coils?