2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans. drip from bottom of bell housing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans. drip from bottom of bell housing...

98 1500 2wd 5.2

I've had this leak for a while, and decided to get under there and check it out finally. I've replaced many things on this truck on my own, but I've never attempted to tackle a transmission fix. I saved a tutorial someone on here wrote up on how to replace the seal, and am still deciding if I want to give it a go or just pay to have it done. I took a pic of where the fluid is dripping from, and it looks like there is a very slight gap right at the bottom of the bell housing right where that plate meets the front of the housing. The dark arrow is where it drips from, and the other 3 arrows is where a line of fluid will sit. The tranny fluid pools up there and drips, but I can't tell if its coming from that slight gap, or if it's leaking down from the front seal. When I look up between the oil pan and the front of the tranny, it does look all wet and gunked up, so I'm thinking it might be the seal leaking and dripping down. Any ideas? And what does it cost to get a front seal replaced?

Thanks

Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it look/smell/feel like trans fluid or motor oil?

Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If it is indeed trans fluid, its likely the front trans seal that is leaking. That means, in order to fix it, the trans has to come out. Not cheap. (6 hours labor or so.... at whatever going rate is where you live.....) If it isn't leaking too bad, leave it. Wait until the trans needs rebuilt, deal with it then.

The other gunk is likely from oil and dirt.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The sump looks more than a little wet... that at least would not be from a trans leak.

The drip I had from the bottom of the bottom of the bellhousing was from the valley gasket at the back of the intake leaking.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:23 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HeyYou, what's your definition of "too bad"? I guess I was a little vague in my original post, plus I didn't want to give away how lazy I've been lol. It's been leaking about half a quart of trans. fluid every 3-4 weeks for going on 6 years now. Still shifts and runs great. I just keep topping it off, and now I have a driveway I'm currently pressure washing to get all the oil out which has built up an extraordinary amount in just the last year I've been at this place. Should have put an oil pan down. I've changed water pump, power steering lines, TPS, IAC, starter, rotors, O2 sensor, speed sensor, numerous serpentine belts, all by myself in the last few years, I'm decent at figuring stuff out.....I've just avoided this trans leak for so long because I know trans are a big job and I never had the tools to drop it. Maybe I should just do it or at least go get a quote. I'd really like a way to stop the drip until I do get it fixed, and was thinking about lightly epoxying a decent size sponge to that bell housing bottom to absorb the leak until I get it fixed. That way at least I could hose off the sponge once a week into a bucket so I can collect it and take it to a waste disposal place every so often.

Ever heard of that?

Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Dropping the trans is indeed a job... Even more fun if you have a 4x4. To me, the light leak you have, simply isn't worth the effort. Doing it yourself, it would prolly be an all day affair. Don't really need any 'special' tools..... but, a jack for the trans is pretty much a requirement. A long extension for some of the bolts comes in handy as well. If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to pull the crank sensor before you pull the trans. They tend to take a beating during that exercise.

To pay someone else to do it, you would probably be looking at 5 to 6 hundred bucks, with labor, fluid, etc. That buys a LOT of trans fluid......

Surprisingly enough, the pressure washer won't get oil/grease out of the driveway, at least, not without some chemical assistance. AutoZone actually has a good product for getting it though. Spray it on, let it sit for a bit, scrub it with a broom, hose it off. (or, pressure wash it off.....) Even works on old stains. Can't recall the name just offhand though.....

Quick Reply: trans. drip from bottom of bell housing...