2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Horde4Life
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight switch

Ok so I've done a little research and found this might be a more common problem than I originally thought . My headlight switch on my 96 is having major issues. I've ordered some new parts and they are on their way. When I pull out the lever to turn on my lights, it doesn't turn them on unless I pull it all the way out and then push it back in slowly until all my lights come on, and driving down the road, the vibration will actually wiggle it enough to randomly turn off my lights . I tried going to a local parts store and buying a new switch but it required me to put the original cover and **** back on the new part and it didn't fix the problem . Has anyone else had issues with this? I thought the actual switch was the problem but now I'm not so sure. I have a whole new part coming and I hope it fixes the issue .

Old 08-04-2016, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Maybe you just got a bad "new" part. Wouldn't be the first time.

A *Great* fix is to solve the current issues, and then get the HD headlight harness from LMC truck. It is a direct connect harness, that uses relays to power the headlights, instead of running all the power thru the switch. The switch controls the relays, and that's it. Much better system.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Where did you get the switch? I found out the autozone is not the place to get one. Before they started coming with the connector and pig tails i went threw 2 of them. Last for few years and then don't want to let the lights come on.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Horde4Life
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestion hey you. I will look into getting one of those put in . I'm sick of hassling with this issue .

I got the faulty replacement from orielly auto parts . I have a new part ok the way and it should be here tomorrow .

Quick Reply: Headlight switch