2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlamp switch melting solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:53 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlamp switch melting solved

Hey guys. I did some research and found a solution to fixing the issue that fries the headlight switches...a new harness. No, not one from LMC truck that's cheap and too short. I bought one from Daniel Stern Lighting. Some of you may have known about him and some not. I ordered and installed a custom made harness from him into my truck. It is a very nice harness and has relays included, which provide the right current the original trucks harness should have had from the factory. Also has fuses as the new harness hooks straight to your battery. The factory harness stays in the truck. It is really easy to install and I took pictures as i installed it. It's pretty straight forward, but if you have questions let me know.

The first picture here is of the entire harness, layed out like it almost would be in the truck. The left side has the leads that hook up to the battery. Then moving right there's the trigger cable that plugs into the trucks light bulb socket on the drivers side in the original harness. To the right of that is the socket that will plug into the drivers side bulb. Then of course on the far right is the cable that plugs into the passenger side bulb.
Name:  P1000712_zpsrfabpdzb.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  183.8 KB
This next picture is of the trigger cable that plugs into the trucks original harness where you'd plug the bulb into.
Name:  P1000715_zpsk7xjzmej.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  205.4 KB
The next picture is of the trigger cable plugged into the original harness (hard to see) and the new harness plugged into the bulbName:  P1000717_zpsurtsrrrq.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  225.5 KB

This next photo is of the passenger side new harness plugged in. You can see the original harness socket sitting there left in place.Name:  P1000714_zpsgr9xq3mi.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  260.7 KB

The last picture is of the fuses and relays that should be secured to the truck somehow. I have not yet done that in the picture. Name:  P1000718_zpsitgqaj7v.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  259.6 KB

That's it! Then i zip tied it the new harness up and made it look good like it was factory!

Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Where is the link? Is the other relay for the high beams or driving lights?

Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 AM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
Where is the link? Is the other relay for the high beams or driving lights?
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
High beams. I ended up contacting him about the switch melting problem and he replied back with options for fixing it, or fixing it while upgrading your headlights to sport headlights. Just looking at his products, a guy may not know what it is he's supposed to purchase.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM
chromed95
Captain

So if anyone is interested, shoot him an email with what you'd like to do, and he'll let you know about options.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

With mine i kept loosing the driving lights. It does take a lot of the load of the switch but would like to see one for the driving lights also. Especially if you tow a trailer at night. Then it would be bullet proof! Wouldn't ever see this again...

Old 08-25-2016, 08:11 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With mine i kept loosing the driving lights. It does take a lot of the load of the switch but would like to see one for the driving lights also. Especially if you tow a trailer at night. Then it would be bullet proof! Wouldn't ever see this again...
I swapped in LED's to reduce the current load.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chromed,

How much was the stern harness compared to the $30 LMC one?

Old 08-26-2016, 02:13 PM
chromed95
Captain

Yeah my driving lights were flickering too and my switch looks about like yours! And I could smell the melting plastic too. I need to replace the switch soon but for now I can trust my switch isn't going to melt any further now.

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Chromed,

How much was the stern harness compared to the $30 LMC one?
It is $150-$160. So a lot more than LMC, but it's not cheap Chinese junk that is potentially too short on the passenger side. It's made in the states which I can get behind!

Quick Reply: headlamp switch melting solved