2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to remove dash, replace heater core and AC evaporator core

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You may want to add who you got the heater core from and what style. I replaced mine the first time with an oe style from napa and it lasted a little over a year. Then i went with the aluminum one and it's been in ever since.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:54 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
You may want to add who you got the heater core from and what style. I replaced mine the first time with an oe style from napa and it lasted a little over a year. Then i went with the aluminum one and it's been in ever since.
Added to top. That's a good tidbit that could save a member some serious downtime, thanks for reminding me. Sorry you had to find out the hard way!

Also added about the cores with less vertical runner tubes causing less heat transfer.

HeyYou can you please recopy to DIY again or copy the new section at the top, thank you.

Last edited by beeker; 08-30-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by beeker
Added to top. That's a good tidbit that could save a member some serious downtime, thanks for reminding me. Sorry you had to find out the hard way!

Also added about the cores with less vertical runner tubes causing less heat transfer.

HeyYou can you please recopy to DIY again or copy the new section at the top, thank you.
Done.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work thanks for all the pics. I am going to be digging in soon or buying a better coat and gloves for this winter. Now I just have to decide how much I want to do. AC has been good last few summers so I hate to mess with it, tempted to go just go parts store core with swivel lines so I can leave AC alone and still get heat.

Anyone have experience with any of the following?
spectra heater core from Amazon $39.98? cheapest but 12 month warrantee
Napa $55
spectra from autozone 58.99 more expensive than amazon, same brand but lifetime warrantee... cue Tommy Boy quote about guarantees
pro source autozone 58.99

Old 11-30-2016, 12:39 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeRam
Great work thanks for all the pics. I am going to be digging in soon or buying a better coat and gloves for this winter. Now I just have to decide how much I want to do. AC has been good last few summers so I hate to mess with it, tempted to go just go parts store core with swivel lines so I can leave AC alone and still get heat.

Napa $55
spectra from autozone 58.99 more expensive than amazon, same brand but lifetime warrantee... cue Tommy Boy quote about guarantees
Thanks, I got mine from Oreilly, not sure what brand. The spectra had some recent bad reviews leaking from a crimp. I wouldn't take the chance on it. Since it's winter I'd probably skip AC core and get the heat going quickly, try to find a good flexible tube model. Maybe someone has a good suggestion.
Get yourself some window and door foam from the hardware store to wrap around the sides, top and bottom of the new core to seal it up and prevent air and debris from passing around the side of the core. The old core has foam but the new one most likely won't have any. It will be too old to reuse.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeRam

Napa $55
The problem with buying stuff like radiators, cooling stuff, & heater cores on the internet is if they are defective or damaged in transit, you are on the hook 'til they can send a replacement. You pay your money, you take your chances. (I had this happen on a Dakota radiator.) Buy one from a local source, you're going to pay more but if it's wrong you can go back and get the correct or undamaged one.

OTOH, saving 20 or 30 bucks has a lot to recommend shopping the 'net sources. Money is tight for me. So I tend to look closely at Amazon (free shipping) and Rockauto (reasonable shipping, no tax, & a 5% discount.) Rockauto has one for $27.99 base price with a lifetime warranty. (P/N TYC 96009)

Of course, the biggest cost will be the time and mess involved in switching it out if it is bad. And inside quality is something you have to take on trust--no way to check. And most cores are checked at the factory for leaks (all Spectras are.)