2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plug in module to fool O2 sensors, question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:14 PM
RedDodge98Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug in module to fool O2 sensors, question

i had to gut my cat about a month ago it was badly clogged, couldnt afford to buy a new one at the time. truck runs like it should now, my question is, im getting a constant catalyst inefficiency engine code, and i can smell its running rich. i have an upstream O2 sensor and one downstream. i know there is a module you plug in to where the O2 sensor goes, to trick the computer into thinking everything is ok. but do i put it on my up stream O2 sensor (which is in the cat by the way) or the down stream one?
i was thinking the one in the cat so when the computer reads the down stream one it would be different which wold fool the computer into thinking its correct? or do i get one for both, and where can i buy one? thanks guys!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:38 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The rear one only. The rear O2 sensor is purely to monitor the cat, the upstream O2 controls A/F ratio. I put in a spark plug defouler in mine saturday (same situation you had) and still no check engine light today.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:29 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Adukart is correct, the upstream will control how your truck runs and you will need a spark plug non fouler to fool the rear. Your truck will always smell like it's running rich without a cat.

"The catalytic converter works by using a “catalyst” to create a chemical reaction in which the gases are “converted” to produce less harmful, or even inert matter. In road going vehicles, this can result in a 90% conversion of bad gasses into less harmful gases that flow through the mufflers and out the exhaust tips."

Last edited by schmidtp; 08-31-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not running rich, it's poison gas, that's what the cat is there for. Your local parts store will have the non foulers or you can get one on the internet that don't need to be drilled out

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM
RedDodge98Guy

awesome, just looked up the non fouler thing, proven it works so im going to do that. thanks guys!

Quick Reply: plug in module to fool O2 sensors, question