2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Killing the battery

Old 09-29-2016, 04:05 PM
mrbubblemaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pin 30 will be hot at all times.
Thanks. Something is staying hot and fryed the new battery and new fuel pump. The alt will freeze up while setting but loosens up when the truck starts. Could alt be causing it?

Old 09-29-2016, 04:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

It's possible...... Does the fuel pump continue to run after you shut off the truck?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:11 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

if the internal regulator is shorted it will drain a battery completely overnight
and can KILL IT but I have never seen a shorted alternator burn up a fuel pump

ALSO common sense says if the alt " freezes up while sitting " it needs replacing before moving forward with any other issues

Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 PM
mrbubblemaker
Professional

Originally Posted by ramsportrocks
if the internal regulator is shorted it will drain a battery completely overnight
and can KILL IT but I have never seen a shorted alternator burn up a fuel pump

ALSO common sense says if the alt " freezes up while sitting " it needs replacing before moving forward with any other issues
You're right about that.. I'm gonna have the alt checked and I've already ordered an external fuel pump for it. I don't particularly care for the internal.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Gotta drop the tank anyway, as you don't want to be trying to pull fuel thru the dead one.

If you replace the in-tank pump with a good replacement, denso, or delphi pump, it'll last quite a while.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran

Originally Posted by heyyou
gotta drop the tank anyway, as you don't want to be trying to pull fuel thru the dead one.

If you replace the in-tank pump with a good replacement, denso, or delphi pump, it'll last quite a while.

this!!!

Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm thinking that circuit stayed on and zapped my new battery and burnt out my new fuel pump
It will drain the battery but not burn out a pump. The fuel pump is submersed in gasoline to keep it running cool. It should last 100K or more depending on the pump. You should make sure it's bad before you replace it with an external. Since the alternator is "freezing up" and there may be a bad diode in it(this can drain the the battery) think it's time for a new one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Killing the battery