2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:22 AM
dpalo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Pulley

The pulley on my alternator is squealing damn near everytime i hit the gas and its really annoying and sounds terrible. Should i try and replace the pulley on it or just the whole alternator? The truck is a 2001 RAM 1500 Sport and from what i can tell its the factory Alternator.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Take off the belt and spin the pulley by hand. If it doesn't move butter smooth or has any play in it, replace the alternator with a new or rebuilt.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 AM
dpalo
Amateur

yea i figured that would be the answer lol i did that already just wanted to know if it would benefit just doing the pulley but i think mine is sealed or cause more harm than good. Its just squealing at this point but its annoying as crap. Thanks Ramman BTW how do you like your skyjacker lift?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dpalo
yea i figured that would be the answer lol i did that already just wanted to know if it would benefit just doing the pulley but i think mine is sealed or cause more harm than good. Its just squealing at this point but its annoying as crap. Thanks Ramman BTW how do you like your skyjacker lift?
I broke a belt a couple months back on a road trip about 50 miles in between to towns in Central America. I didn't panic, as I have a spare belt. I did panic when I saw the pulley flopping around.
I found a local mechanic, who pulled the pulley, popped the bearings, ran down the street and came back with new bearings. I was back on the road in under 30 minutes.

Point is, maybe just change the bearings, lol?

--edit... I'm not talking about the pulley attached to the actual alternator

Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Verify that the tensioner is good, and not seized. If there isn't enough tension, the belt WILL squeal.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:45 PM
dpalo
Amateur

checked the tensioner it seemed fine i replaced the belt about a month ago because the other one had cracks. when i take off the belt and spin the tensioner it doesnt lock up and spins free but the alternator pully i can hear a small squeak thats why i was starting there

Old 09-21-2016, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you hear it without the belt on there when you spin it as well?

Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 AM
dpalo
Amateur

yes only on the alternator pulley but not the tensioner

Old 09-21-2016, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Replace the alternator.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dpalo
Love it! I pieced it together back in 2010 buying control arms, springs, AALs, and shocks all separately. Already had a 3" thuren track bar so went for it. Shopping for individual parts was cheaper as I found specials and closeouts. Just had to research all the part numbers and be patient, using different online sellers. Plus, going to 5" was more than double the cost, plus on a 99, I would need bigger brakes for the bigger tires, swapping gears, long arms, etc. It ballooned to several thou. So for just about 500 bucks, I got the look and lift of a 2500 which is what these trucks should have had from the factory.

The ride is great. The springs are holding up well. I paint them once in a while to keep them red (I got the closeout red springs before they went to black) and I just replaced the original hydro shocks. Now with the M95s, the ride is waaaaaaaay better! Holy cow! So much softer. I couldn't believe how much stiffness was due to the water shocks. I highly recommend springing (ha!) for the gassers over hydros. I also only have a 3 leaf pack (some 1500s have 4) so adding another leaf put me where most trucks are for capacity in the bed. It helps with loads and doesn't squat too much. I also recommend the control arms (I did just lower) as they have poly bushings and grease zerks. Over all, it was a great purchase. Took one day to install with friends. Front took til lunch and rear til dinner. One if not the best mod I ever did. But now with all the bigger newer trucks, it just looks tiny. But it used to look lifted!

Quick Reply: Alternator Pulley