2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pump Pulley Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 PM
RamItDammit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Pulley Bearing

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9L V6 2WD. Can I just replace the power steering pulley bearing or do I have to replace the whole pump? The steering works fine, no problems or "out of the ordinaries", but it just squeaks super, SUPER loudly. Also, can I remove the pulley without having to remove the whole unit from the truck?

Last edited by RamItDammit; 09-21-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Replace the pump. If there is a bearing in there that is failing, then it has already distributed parts of itself thoughout the pump. Bearing today, shaft tomorrow.......

Take the pump out on the bracket. You will need the special tools to remove the pulley. Your local parts store should have them available to borrow/rent. Take note of where the end of the shaft is in relation to the pulley. Put the pulley on the new pump in the same place. (depth of shaft in pulley bore)

You could try and flush the system out, before you close it back up again, but, be warned, the pump can empty the reservoir in about two seconds........ even at idle.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM
RamItDammit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Thank you for the advice and info.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Pulley Bearing