2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum Nipple?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 PM
RamItDammit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Nipple?

Cam anyone tell me what nipple is? And is there supposed to be a line on it? It's on the passenger side of the engine, I believe just below the plenum. It's a vacuum of some sort, and when I put my finger on it, it kills the motor. Just curious.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

That's the port your vac line should be on.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 AM
RamItDammit
Amateur

Okay. Where should the other end be connected to? I'm having idling and stalling issues when at low RPM's. Could this have something to do with it?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

At a minimum, it sends vacuum to your heater box to operate the flap inside of it. If you don't care if those vacuum operated items work, the port should be plugged/capped off. If the engine isn't running right with the port plugged, there are other things going on, such as a blown intake plenum gasket, etc.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:22 AM
RamItDammit
Amateur

It's there a way to check the plenum gasket without taking it apart? Any "tell tale signs" I should or could look for? And where should the other end of the vacuum line coming from the nipple be connected to?

Things I've already checked, fixed, replaced, etc. in the last month;

-Idle air control valve
-Battery and terminal connectors
-Ignition coil
-Tested throttle position sensor (tested good)
-Removed, cleaned, and reinstalled throttle body
-Thoroughly cleaned air box and filter.

I'll add a link to my other thread about what my truck is doing.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Pull the throttle body, and have a look inside the intake. If you see oil pooling at the back of the intake, then you have a problem. Also, if you can see the gasket poking in there, that's a problem as well.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:31 AM
RamItDammit
Amateur

I can't find the link, but this is what it said;

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9L V6 2WD. Mostly when I'm almost to a stop (under 10 MPH), but also sometimes when I'm going 15-20 MPH, the truck will stall, but I still have power in the cab. I have replaced the ignition coil, the Idle Air Control Valve, and the fuel pump. I also added the SeaFoam engine treatment. After I replaced the fuel pump two days ago, the truck ran good with no problems or stalls (a total of about 4 hours running time). Then i get in it this morning, and its doing the same thing. Could it be a short somewhere? Could the fuel line be clogged? The only filter it has is the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump. I was told at the auto parts store that there is no in-line fuel filter. It just seems like it's intermittently not getting fuel. Or maybe too much? After it stalls, it takes 1-3 tries of turning it over (5-10 "engine rotations") before it starts, and a couple times I've smelled fuel in the exhaust fumes.

Also, when I disconnect the batter to reset the ECM, it runs fine for about 20-30 miles, then does it again.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:44 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Be sure to check the crank trigger. It is bolted to the motor and extends down into the transmission.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:45 AM
RamItDammit
Amateur

What's the best way to do that?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by RamItDammit
What's the best way to do that?
Pay someone else to do it. That thing is a pain to get to..... Some folks go in from the top, others go at it from underneath. On my truck, it's a LONG reach from underneath, so, I came at it from above..... got some pretty unique scars from that exercise.......

Throwing any codes?

Quick Reply: Vacuum Nipple?