2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:57 PM
markdawson38
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I have 1999 dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 i need a new exhaust cat and muffler with pipes. I dont want anything loud and it dont even need to be dual exhaust. I am needing something to help me with pulling mostly. I have been reading and looking for sometime someone please help me, advice and or can someone send me a link and tell me exactly what and where the best place to get it. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:37 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

When I replaced my converter and muffler, I wanted to go with a nice free flowing 3" exhaust system. I went with the following parts:

Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Muffler - 17233
Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet with front O2 sensor port)
3 - 3" band clamps (back of cat, front + rear of muffler) - not required, if shop is welding the system together
1 - bung for rear O2 sensor
New front and rear NGK O2 sensors

I shopped around for the parts via Google and bought them at reputable places with the best prices at the time (Summit Racing, Amazon, etc.).

I already had JBA shorty headers installed, which connect to the existing 2" pipes that connect to the converter. I took the new parts to a local exhaust shop. They cut out the old converter and welded my new converter in its place. They had a straight length of 3" pipe there at the shop and cut a section of that 3" pipe to connect the converter to the UltraFlo muffler. Next was bending a custom 3" tailpipe that came off the back of the muffler. The last step was to weld a bung into the 3" pipe just behind the converter for the rear O2 sensor, then install both O2 sensors. This system is fairly quiet and is just a bit louder than the stock exhaust when cruising down the highway. I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 09-25-2016 at 12:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust