2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram, 4x4, 5.9l, dirveline front drveshaft remaval

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Snap rings just locate the caps in the yoke. That's the differential end, by the way... hence, my confusion.

They just pry out. Watch the caps though, they like to jump off, and scatter their needle bearings EVERYWHERE. Leave the snap rings where they are. No need to do anything with 'em.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:35 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Thanks HeyYou. So I don't touch those snap rings, or the little piece of wire going from snap ring to that other snap ring.
And all I do is just pry it out at this point. Seems easy enough.

And the end of that shaft is at the differential end! Got it! I knew that but I just didn't "know" that, so to speak? Hard to explain. Sorry bout not explaining it right! But I knew if I could jusst show y'all a pic or two, you all would know exactly what to do!

Ok. Back to work on truck. Just got home from real job.

So that's the only place on the truck that has "differential"? And that shaft at the differential end, that goes from there to the rear of the truck, is called the "driveline drive shaft"?
Thanks y'all!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have front and rear differentials. Shafts are just driveshafts. (front, and rear, respectively) They both connect to the t-case, right behind the trans.

But yeah, just pry the joint out of the yoke, and don't worry about anything else. The 'wire' between the two may be a retainer designed to keep the caps on the joint prior to assembly at the factory. (couldn't see it real well in the pics.)

Old 09-30-2016, 07:30 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Perfect! Finally, of course what should've only took a couple of hours took 2 days!!

Oh well, I was able to get it unbolted, pried out of the differential end's yoke(hope I said that right!)and hung up with a wire.
It was tight at that point but at least I could get to it to replace that shifter linkage seal part. After I got the new seal in and the shifters assy put back on there, theres not a drip anywhere!

All this to put a $5.00 seal in the trans! But, it was leaking so bad that it had to be done. The differential end's drive shaft is back on as well. You all were there when I really needed it. Owe y'all!

Oh yea, I might've done a little damage to the trans running it low on fluid a minute before I realized there was a leak. Hmm.
Well, I hope not, but if I did I'll probably be needing some help/guidance rebuilding this transmission. I'm sure it wont take me long at all, prob just a couple questions or ten, a pic or two, and Bam, we'll have us a rebuilt transmission! Together. All of us! What y'all think??

Seriously though, thanks for the help. If the trans really is shot, I'll leave that to the experts at the shop!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:08 PM
Billyjr
Default Hi i

I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.9 gas 360 5 speed Manuel tranny excab 4x4 need to no what type of 5 speed tranny it is I broke my front yoke off my drive shaft and drive line USA having hard time finding out what tranny it is

Old 10-01-2016, 09:19 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Billyjr, I'd start a new thread if I were you. They'll answer ya right away! And these guys are good! So if you haven't already, try to open a new thread specifically for your trans or driveshaft questions.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Billyjr
I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.9 gas 360 5 speed Manuel tranny excab 4x4 need to no what type of 5 speed tranny it is I broke my front yoke off my drive shaft and drive line USA having hard time finding out what tranny it is
If it originally came from the factory with the 5.9 (check the 8th digit of the VIN), then you have an NV4500.

Quick Reply: 98 ram, 4x4, 5.9l, dirveline front drveshaft remaval