2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 1500 4x4-Do I have a hydroboost pwr steering system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:01 AM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram 1500 4x4-Do I have a hydroboost pwr steering system?

Man, hate to bother y'all with this of all things but-
The pwr steering pump/reservoir, lines are throwing fluid Everywhere! I had to do something. So I got a whole set up from the u pull it, bracket and all. It was clean, said reman on it and I assumed it was a new to the truck pump/reservoir. All the other Ram's were gunky and seemed to leak before making it to the yard.

Can I just unbolt the one on my truck like I did the one at the pull it place? I unbolted 4 bolts from the bracket and the entire set up came out.(they cut the lines on all of em)It was pretty simple. I figured I'd buy the 2 hoses.

Problem is, AZ has 2 kinds of hoses. They got "conventional" or "hydroboost". How do I know if it's a conventional? I would think it is. Just wanna make sure before I go buy the hoses.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

They are referring to the brake system there. Typical for your truck would be vacuum assisted brakes. With the big vacuum booster behind the master cylinder. (and I would bet that's what you have, which would be 'conventional'.) Hydroboost uses power steering pump to provide hydraulic assist to the brakes. I.E. no vacuum booster. Usually found on vehicles with a diesel engine, or, limited space to put a vacuum booster. (My Astro Van with the Gas 4.3 v-6 is hydraboost.)

Old 10-25-2016, 11:53 AM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There anything you dont know bout the Rams! Thanks man, might stump ya one day but, hope not!

All the pwr steering pumps on the 9 or 10 rams they had at the yard had gunk, dried up fluid, had been leaking sometime or another and this was the best one I found. I did sort of wonder if it could have gotten ruined if the cap wasnt on it. Cant remember if it was or not. If a little rain water got in it, can I or should I do anything to it prior to filling with power steering fluid?

Someone told me lil while back that we needed "special" fluid, or Chrysler fluid maybe? Can't remember exactly what he said. Think basic oreillys pwr steering fluid is fine though, or was he correct ya think?

Old 10-25-2016, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If it got wet, I wouldn't use it at all. New ones really aren't that expensive... Under 100 bucks as I recall. (I had to replace mine...... the shaft sheered right off.... driving a 6K pound truck without power steering, while pulling a 5000 pound chipper, just wasn't any fun at all......)