2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gearshift linkage

Old 10-28-2016, 12:55 AM
MrGman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearshift linkage

Has anybody ever had issues with the gearshift linkage cable seizing up? I've got a 96 with the 46RE transmission that seems to be having issues. Everything seemed to be fine, but moved the truck this afternoon on to a driveway that sloped a bit downhill, put it in park (or so I thought), shut it down and started to climb out when it started rolling. Luckily I was able to get on the brakes while someone threw some blocks under the wheel. Figured out that it hadn't shifted all the way back into park and was still in reverse.Anyways, had to jiggle the gearshift lever around enough to get it into neutral to start as it wasn't in park despite what the indicator said. Had a tough time getting it back into reverse to get out, then took a bit to get it into drive. Runs fine once it gets into gear, but when I got home, still couldn't get it into park. I've got it parked on flat ground with blocks behind the wheels for the night. Has anybody ever had an issue like that? I'm hoping it's just linkage, but going into the shop in the morning. Just seems weird that it happened out of nowhere, lol. With any luck, I can get it into drive in the morning so I don't have to get a tow to the shop.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Disconnect the linkage at various places, and see where your bind is. Think I would start at the steering column..... mine is kinda sticky sometimes.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if it's that spring tensioner thing on the steering column that the rock solid ram steering fix corrects? Do you have play in the steering wheel?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 PM
MrGman
Rookie

managed to get a shop to look at it first thing this morning... turns out the linkage underneath the truck was just really loose. They tightened it up and had me on the road in 30 minutes. They are recommending replacing some parts under there as they say it'll come loose again. I'm just waiting for an estimate from them and I'll go from there. They're not sure if they can find parts for a 20 year old truck though as they say this stuff is dealer only. Hopefully they get me an estimate tomorrow, then I'll know what they say needs replacing. Might have to source the parts myself, lol.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:47 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lmctruck.com is a good place to start. Not sure if they have that kind of stuff, but...

Old 10-28-2016, 11:01 PM
MrGman
Rookie

Yea, I'll have to see if they ship up here to Canada... waiting for the estimate from the shop so I see exactly what parts need replacing.

Search this Thread