2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I get a second on this

Old 11-16-2016, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

There are a lot of free programs out there...... You pay for the cable, and software comes with it. I have OBDWiz, but, am thoroughly underwhelmed with its performance. There are very few parameters that it actually lets you monitor. Its good for reading codes, but, that's about it. Haven't tried any others yet....... Looking for software that will be compatible with my Bluetooth OBDII device.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:44 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have OBDWiz, but, am thoroughly underwhelmed with its performance. There are very few parameters that it actually lets you monitor.
Hmmmm, worth starting a new thread about people's preferences in software???

Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Hmmmm, worth starting a new thread about people's preferences in software???
There actually already is one in the General Discussion forum. I think its even pinned. I think it was originally for actually scan tools.... but hey, the world progresses.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:47 AM
Truemagnum15
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel injectors?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:17 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeachBum52
Bringing idle up to 1500 in neutral still stumbles and misses as before. ?
Did this happen with your old crank sensor?? if not, put the old one back in and see if the problem goes away..

Old 11-22-2016, 11:45 AM
BeachBum52

Engine barely ran when I got this truck, so it's hard to say if this problem existed before crank sensor was changed. As the crank sensor is so much fun to get at I ordered the ScanTool software and will wait until I see what that shows me.

I'll be able to freeze frame what the crank sensor is doing at the time it's misbehaving as well as all the other parameters that might be contributing. Hopefully, I can isolate that way.

I changed the crank sensor because it just jumped out at me while I had the exhaust off and it still wasn't easy but time to hopefully stop shooting in the dark.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:31 AM
BeachBum52

Hooked up my obdwiz yesterday. Still trying to figure out how to use this but I think I already see it's limited. Does not appear to have the ability to check/set the fuel/cam timing which I had the shop do.

Below are two snapshots of the PID Monitor. The first is with the idle at 1500 in park. Engine was stumbling badly and kept it that way for longer than normal. Noticed odor and occasional I think pop in the manifold.

The second is idle at 1500 in drive with foot on break. Misfire stumble mostly gone and holding steady. No odor or popping.

Again, this thing drives fine as long as I stay off a no load light cruise.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Originally Posted by BeachBum52
Well got truck back from shop today and still have the problem after fuel sync done. It seems to run a bit better and the problem seems to be harder to produce but never the less still there.

The shift points prior to having the fuel sync done, seemed weird to me and it was hard to get it to downshift but that seems much improved now. Bringing idle up to 1500 in neutral still stumbles and misses as before. Slight gas peddle in a mostly coast situation produces a buck or two but other than that, it's perfectly drive-able and you wouldn't notice a thing.

Just don't get it. I know cheap crank sensor was mentioned. It was a CarQuest brand that I've used many times before without issues. I'm unfortunately familiar with conditions associated with bad crank sensor and this just doesn't seem to fit considering it only flakes out under this specific condition.

I'm considering getting OBD2 software that I can monitor while I'm driving as well as double check the fuel sync. Is there any that would fit this bill around $100 or less?
Harbor Freight has an OBD2 scan tool on the cheap end, I personally don't know how good they are?

Old 11-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Sonocativo
Professional

Unhook your battery (BOTH CABLES), touch cables together to clear out all codes and crazy stuff. Then hook battery back up and restart the truck. See if it still does it.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM
BeachBum52

Originally Posted by Sonocativo
Unhook your battery (BOTH CABLES), touch cables together to clear out all codes and crazy stuff. Then hook battery back up and restart the truck. See if it still does it.
Gave that a try this morning and still have the same issue.

BTW it doesn't do it when I first start the truck in the am. Kicks in about halfway into the warm up cycle.

Search this Thread