2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 ram 4x4 suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Well, you may be able to get most of that.... the 'decently smooth ride' might be a tall order though. It IS a dodge truck, after all..... (mine rides REALLY nice.... with about 1000 lbs in the bed......)

You *might* be able to fit the 35's with only 3" of lift, but, if you off-road at all, the tires will contact the body...... hard to say which wins, but, either way, you lose.... On a half ton truck, you really need 5" to comfortably clear 35" tires. Which means you need a real lift kit, with all the parts to do it properly... which means, big money. Check with some of the various and sundry suspension companies, should be able to find something you like.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Clauder
The end goal is to have 35s on 17s and have it leveled out and decently Smooth ride.
I saw your pics. It looks good currently.

You do have a spacer, rubber ISOLATOR, and then the spring. lol

I missed what size the spacer, 2"?

Going to 35s does take more lift, especially if you don't change the control arm length.

Having a smooth ride is a relative thing.

Bottom line is to extend the control arms. They change the ride dynamics, your butt feel, but having them closer to parallel the ground. When at an angle, steeper, that is when the ride becomes harsh. Bumps straight up into you.

Look for the appropriate kit, Skyjacker, BDS, etc. or learn to fab appropriately for the same function.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:36 PM
David Clauder
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I can get adjustable control arms and it'll help smoothen out the ride? Should I go back to stock spring or just keep the ones I have now

Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Adjustable control arms are expensive... and won't change the ride at all. A long-arm kit would though. (smoother.)

If you wanna fit 35's, you are going to require a lift..... also, what gears in your axles? 35's and 3.55s just suck.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:35 PM
David Clauder
Professional

Ya I think it's the 355 gears

Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ya I think it's the 355 gears
Gonna want to address that before you install bigger tires then. Unfortunately, re-gearing is expensive.... around 1500 or so, parts and labor. Not really something you want to do yourself, unless you have done it before, or, can have someone help you, that has.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:25 AM
David Clauder
Professional

What is the reason for RE gearing to put bigger tires on.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:32 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a diameter (of the tire) and torque (of the engine) thing. Your truck will seem really "doggy" after the bigger tires, also putting a strain on your already weak transmission.

Think of it like this...
You now have small tires. Take one off and try to roll it on the ground with a 1' long stick. Not easy, but doable.

Now try to roll a bigger tire (and probably heavier wheel too) with that same stick. It's going to be harder and maybe break your stick (transmission).

Re-gearing will give you a longer stick.

Last edited by dbbd1; 11-23-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So I can get adjustable control arms and it'll help smoothen out the ride? Should I go back to stock spring or just keep the ones I have now
Adjustable arms add the ability to adjust pinion angle properly as well as placement in wheel well, forward to get away from fender contact. Alone they don't smooth the ride, combined with long length arms, yes.

There are single and dual adjustable. Dual means you never have to pull an end out of bracket to adjust.

Choose the springs you want for lift. The arm length, bolt to bolt, is optimized with the lift height.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:48 PM
David Clauder
Professional

I did get the springs I wanted for the lift and it didn't lift it. I bought 3" lifted sky jacker springs and without the 2" spacer it went back to stock height. I'm good with the way the truck is sitting right now til I can get a lift kit. I just want a smoother ride