2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the pictures of the 94. Looks just slightly different.
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3270.png
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3271.png
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3272.png
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3273.png

Now I didn't get a chance to check for voltage when those leds were on. So let's say I have zero voltage going to the amps. Where do I start next? Do I check for shorts? What would be my next step?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If you don't have power going out to the amps, (verify this AT the head unit) need to verify that all the wires coming IN to the radio that should be powered, are indeed powered.

if you have power coming out of the head unit, but, not making it to the amps, time to trace wires, and see where the break is.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:34 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you don't have power going out to the amps, (verify this AT the head unit) need to verify that all the wires coming IN to the radio that should be powered, are indeed powered.

if you have power coming out of the head unit, but, not making it to the amps, time to trace wires, and see where the break is.
I know I have power coming in. So I need to check for power going out to the amps via pin 1 on the black connector? What if I don't have that power going out, but I still continue to have power coming in? I already tried another head unit like I said earlier.

I'm not the smartest and all this wiring problems are proving to be pretty tough. Just saying sorry now in case I am now or I if I do start repeating myself.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Was the other head unit an infinity system as well? If it was, chances are the radio itself is ok, and the problem is further down stream. All the speaker amps get power from the exact same place. From the head unit, to the choke, out to the speakers. If you have power coming out of the head unit, next, check for power coming out of the choke, AT the choke.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Try cleaning ground "B" and see if that helps.

Dave

Old 11-30-2016, 06:36 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Was the other head unit an infinity system as well? If it was, chances are the radio itself is ok, and the problem is further down stream. All the speaker amps get power from the exact same place. From the head unit, to the choke, out to the speakers. If you have power coming out of the head unit, next, check for power coming out of the choke, AT the choke.
The other radio was not a infinity, but it had all the pins and seemed to have the sameness symptoms as my current radio is having. So I have 12 volts coming out of pin one on the black connector, but only when those little leds are on. But I don't get power when they are off. Sometimes I go to start the truck, and they come on when I turn the key. They stay on during the drive, and come back to start it another time and they are off. So they are pretty intermittent.
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3264.jpg
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3262.jpg
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3267.jpg
There's a pic of those leds i keep mentioning, and there is the reading on the meter.
On top of having 12 going out, I have about .5 volts going out to all the speakers. Not sure I find that means anything.

Multiple Electrical issues-img_3272.jpg
Multiple Electrical issues-img_3273.jpg
There's a picture of all time 12 volt coming in for memory, and 12 volt in run and acc. positions on the key.

1. Looks like I have power going where it should. Next step you said is the choke. I have no clue where that is. It says center support??

2. Where is ground B located?

Also I'll be getting a video of the noise I'm hearing when the radio turns on and off.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Here are the videos.

This one you can see the lights going on and off when turning the ignition to acc and back off again. If you listen close you can hear the sound right when those light shows start to fade

This second one is of the sound, i put it right next to the speaker.

I get these sounds when turning the ignition off, but only when those little orange lights are on.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then the other head unit wasn't a valid test. While the connectors may have been the same, the 'stockish' head unit won't be powering the amps, therefore, they simply will not work. With the volume cranked all the way up, you *might* hear something.... But, I doubt it. Either that, or it would smoke the speakers... The amps aren't expecting a full power input.

See if you are putting power out TO the amps. That is what you need to look at next.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:18 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Then the other head unit wasn't a valid test. While the connectors may have been the same, the 'stockish' head unit won't be powering the amps, therefore, they simply will not work. With the volume cranked all the way up, you *might* hear something.... But, I doubt it. Either that, or it would smoke the speakers... The amps aren't expecting a full power input.

See if you are putting power out TO the amps. That is what you need to look at next.
12 volts out via pin 1 black connector, that goes to the radio choke.
So I test that from the radio choke to see if I'm getting voltage to the amps? And where would the radio choke be?

Or I'm just completely confuzzled. Probably this option.

Last edited by CJSuhr; 11-30-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It says "instrument panel, center support".... Whatever that means...... See if you are getting power to the choke, once you find it..... then see if you are getting power OUT of the choke.