2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shackle flip with lowering shackles

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:44 AM
rreichel99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shackle flip with lowering shackles

I was looking into doing a shackle flip and then getting some lowering shackles which would actually add a lift to it since it's flipped. Has anyone ever done this combination before? I was planning on just using the stock shackle because lowering shackles are cheaper than shackle flip kits. Also, I already have a leveling kit so what would be the next way to lift up the front so it's the same as the rear.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

How much lift do you already have in front?

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:43 PM
rreichel99

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How much lift do you already have in front?

Welcome to DF!
Just have the coil spacers. I think they're 2.5 in

Old 12-02-2016, 06:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can't go much higher in front then, 3" is pretty much the max without spending some serious coin. That means control arms, track bar, drop pitman arm, longer shocks, etc. Want to pay attention to shock length in the rear as well... Don't want them acting as travel limiters. They don't survive long doing that.

Could look at a good lift kit, that just uses blocks in the rear, and do the shackle flip instead, and don't even use the blocks. (I am just not fan of using blocks to lift the rear in any event.....)

Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 PM
rreichel99

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Can't go much higher in front then, 3" is pretty much the max without spending some serious coin. That means control arms, track bar, drop pitman arm, longer shocks, etc. Want to pay attention to shock length In the rear as well... Don't want them acting as travel limiters. They don't survive long doing that.

Could look at a good lift kit, that just uses blocks in the rear, and do the shackle flip instead, and don't even use the blocks. (I am just not fan of using blocks to lift the rear in any event.....)
So then getting taller springs and shocks in the front wouldn't work? Do you know if there is a company that just sells basically half of the lift kit? Like everything just for the front? I already have rough country shocks which are good for 5 inches of lift I believe

Old 12-03-2016, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check out Top Guns Customz. I think they sell pieces/parts, so you can just get what you need.

If you go over three inches in front, you MUST also use longer control arms, and correct track bar for your lift, not to mention the drop pitman arm. Seems you already have the shocks. Careful with the brake lines, too, make sure they are long enough, else they get ripped out, and you no longer have any brakes. Not a good scene.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:14 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rough Country, IIRC, sold separate parts too.