2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

coolant leak behind water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The advance here will match prices with Rock Auto. (and you don't have to pay shipping either.)

Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the freeze plugs on the back of the motor were leaking as I had coolant leaking down the front of the tranny (behind the cover shield). The shop pressurized the cooling system, and there was a leak by the timing cover. So they pulled the timing cover, and it seems I had coolant leaking inside the timing cover also and into the oil pan. Also noticed the timing chain had a lot of slack in it. And since you've got to remove parts to get to the timing chain cover, you might as well replace them with new parts. So $1200 later (1/3 was parts; 2/3 was labor) we replaced the water pump, bypass hose, thermostat, fan clutch, timing chain and sprockets, dropped the oil pan and cleaned it out (and new pan gasket), serpentine belt, a tranny cooler return line (was starting to dry rot they said), and a thermostat. Since there was coolant in the oil, they put in new oil, ran it, drained it, and again new oil. They pressurized the cooling system when done, and it looks like the coolant we thought was coming down the tranny (rear engine freeze plugs) was coming from the front timing cover and running to the back of the engine, as there was no more leak in the back (but I'll be watching it the next few days to make sure). I'd rather find out now and have it fixed at my leisure vs. on a trip across the country trying to fix something on the side of the road.

I just put a 120 amp alternator in the truck a month or so ago replacing the original factory 81 amp alternator with 215,000 miles on it. Some years I spend minimal on the truck; this year was a little expensive. I've had this truck since new in 1996, and it has a lot of good memories for me. And it is paid for since forever, so I want to keep it running. And it is way cheaper than buying a new truck!

Attached Thumbnails coolant leak behind water pump-cover.1.jpg  

Last edited by armynurse; 12-22-2016 at 09:56 AM.