2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:33 PM
sixofnine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Harmonic balancer

My engine started making noises all of a sudden, like someone was banging pans against it while I was driving last week. There was no loss of power, just the awful and very loud noise. I drove it to safety and arranged for a tow a couple days later. Due to the spot it was in, I had to back it out so it could be hooked up. The driver heard the noise, and quickly was able to show me where it was coming from. Happily, it isn't internal. It's the part that the arrow in the photo points to. It unattached is rubbing and banging against other metal. Problem is, I don't know what this part is called. Can anyone tell me...and hopefully point me to a fix video or narrative?

Attached Thumbnails Harmonic balancer-part.jpg  
Old 12-04-2016, 03:33 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

It looks like you are pointing to the water pump pulley. If the pulley is dancing around a bit when the engine is running, you likely have a bad water pump bearing. The fix would be to replace the water pump.

Normally, there would be a clutch fan on the front of that pulley to move air for the radiator. I take it that that vehicle has electric fans on the radiator?

Last edited by AtomicDog; 12-04-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:53 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't tell for sure, but if you're pointing at the water pump (ribbed side of belt facing up, smooth pulley with cap on end) then yes the water pump is going.

If you're pointing at the part behind the lowest pulley, that is the harmonic balancer. Plenty of YouTube videos to explain how to change it. Just make sure you get the right one for you're motor. There is a difference between the 5.2 and the 5.9.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If it's the bottom pulley, right below the water pump, that's the harmonic balancer. Did the outer ring separate from the hub?

Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM
sixofnine

Water pump replaced in the last 2 years...

frankie_b_jr, Thank you, yes, harmonic balancer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it's the bottom pulley, right below the water pump, that's the harmonic balancer. Did the outer ring separate from the hub?
Yes, I am pointing to what you are saying is the harmonic balancer, and yes, the outer ring separated from the hub. Thanks!

I will search for videos

Probably won't get to it before the weekend, but will update...

Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Don't drive it like that. It'll wear a hole in the timing cover, and that isn't any fun. The balancer is pretty easy to replace, you'll need a gear puller for it. While you are there, change the front crank seal too. Don't bother with the 'sleeve style' repair kit though. I have had zero success with those.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 AM
sixofnine

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't drive it like that. It'll wear a hole in the timing cover, and that isn't any fun. The balancer is pretty easy to replace, you'll need a gear puller for it. While you are there, change the front crank seal too. Don't bother with the 'sleeve style' repair kit though. I have had zero success with those.
Awesome, thanks for the info, especially about the sleeve...'cuz that's what I was gonna do! Will get a new one and crank seal as well. Appreciate this so much! Will update once it's done. I'm not driving it right now, I have another vehicle so I'm not in a big rush.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM
TSU_Delta_Chi
Rookie

I just did mine last week. I noticed a vibration that steadily got worse over a few days and then BANG! The balancer separated from the pulley. It's an easy fix though, good luck with yours!

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer