2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Decent heads and cam for 5.9 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Never mind...
Killer post, great info.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Killer post, great info.
I AM known for my wit and intelligence...

Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by dbbd1
I AM known for my wit and intelligence...
Me too!

Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
Hey so I am trying to get as much info on the rebuild for my 5.9 before I pull the trigger on it in the spring. I have been told the stroker is the way to go but that unless I'm ready to dump a ton into it, the build will be crap. Others have said to just rebuild the stock block with a good set of heads, intake ,TB and cam. So that is what I am looking into now.

I did a mild set of heads and cam on my 5.7 Hemi and it was great. Can someone guide me in the direction of a decent set of ready to go heads and cam set up? I'm not looking into making a massive amount of power just a nice bump with the reliability that I have had with the stock set up. Thanks for the advice.

I bought some aftermarket heads a couple years ago from "Clearwater cylinder heads" also known as "Odessa Heads" They have both remanufactured and aftermarket. The aftermarket are beefed up in some weak areas. I've done some motor upgrades, and have not had any issues. What I can definitely day about them is they had very good customer service with me. They waved my core charge when they found out I was on a military base outside the US. I just looked on their website, but didn't see the heads for our motor, but it also says much of their stock is not listed.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicraage
I bought some aftermarket heads a couple years ago from "Clearwater cylinder heads" also known as "Odessa Heads" They have both remanufactured and aftermarket. The aftermarket are beefed up in some weak areas. I've done some motor upgrades, and have not had any issues. What I can definitely day about them is they had very good customer service with me. They waved my core charge when they found out I was on a military base outside the US. I just looked on their website, but didn't see the heads for our motor, but it also says much of their stock is not listed.
Thanks for the info. I will look into them. I'm probably just going to go with a stock replacement head. The aftermarket ones flow better than stock and are stronger than stock. I was hoping to get a head that was in-between stock and the Monsters but it looks like that they don't make them. However I will ask these guys if they can make a set.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:08 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

PF-CHR300N is the Clearwater/Odessa heads part number for the heads I got for my 408. They are better cast stock replacements with stock sized valves. They kind of fall between stock and monster EQs. You can check their eBay store for that number, or call them.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Tboned
Rookie
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
PF-CHR300N is the Clearwater/Odessa heads part number for the heads I got for my 408. They are better cast stock replacements with stock sized valves. They kind of fall between stock and monster EQs. You can check their eBay store for that number, or call them.
Thanks will do!

Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 AM
mr5racing
Amateur

i have a set of Magnum R/T 7140 heads that we dynoed and were just as good as the Indy heads with the M1 dual plane intake. its all about the match. we were using this combo to run circle track asphalt modifeds and rules changed. i dont have enough posts to list them for sale so forgive me for talking it up. ive listed them on most Mopar sites and Facebook mopar parts sites.

http://img159.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_210lo.jpg

http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_418lo.jpg

Old 03-16-2017, 06:25 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i can add to that a little, get that CAI off the top on put a good old fashion 10" or 14" round air filter on there with a K&N filter, you will also be pleasantly surprized...