2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cranks, but, no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 PM
cbruz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks, but, no start

I've got a 99' 5.2 V8 4wd Im having a crank no start issue. I checked the fuel pressure, as well as pulled out plugs and saw that they were wet. I then went to spark, I checked the plugs they are fouled and my distriburtor cap was pretty crappy too, I replaced plug wires and cap paying close attention to the firing order, I then checked to see if the ignition coil was getting a strong enough spark it was pinkish instead of the blue, so i swapped out the ignition coil and am still getting a pink spark instead of blue. I checked the volts on the Crank sensor and was getting 5 DCV which is what it was rated to, I also sprayed starter fluid in the engine block to try and get a bang but no luck. Im to confused right now lol, can some body give me some insight as to what I can be missing? Much thanks yall

Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by cbruz
I've got a 99' 5.2 V8 4wd Im having a crank no start issue. I checked the fuel pressure, as well as pulled out plugs and saw that they were wet. I then went to spark, I checked the plugs they are fouled and my distriburtor cap was pretty crappy too, I replaced plug wires and cap paying close attention to the firing order, I then checked to see if the ignition coil was getting a strong enough spark it was pinkish instead of the blue, so i swapped out the ignition coil and am still getting a pink spark instead of blue. I checked the volts on the Crank sensor and was getting 5 DCV which is what it was rated to, I also sprayed starter fluid in the engine block to try and get a bang but no luck. Im to confused right now lol, can some body give me some insight as to what I can be missing? Much thanks yall
Going to break this out into it's own thread for ya.

You are getting spark, and the plugs are wet.... so, you have spark and fuel. Question becomes, are you getting too much fuel? Need to plug in with a scanner, see if there are any codes, also need to check and see what temp the PCM thinks the engine is.

Dry the plugs, then, stomp the gas pedal to the floor, and hold it there. Does the engine start?

Quick Reply: Cranks, but, no start