2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 97 RAM Project

Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 PM
ram-tuff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission check

Update:

Here are some pics of when I pulled the trans pan to find out more about the tranny when I bought the truck. Looked real good in there is all I can say. The PO was kind enough to put a date on the filter so I knew when it was changed last. I bought the truck in DEC 2013.

The pan had normal wear shavings in it from what I could tell. I was really worried about it because after I bought it, it was shifting REALLY HARD when the truck was colder. As it warms up it got better. So I dropped the pan to check it out.

Wish I had more pics. I actually removed the valve body on accident(never worked on AOD before) but everything looked really good and I put it all back.

I changed the filter with new ATF+4 in March 2015.

Name:  20150314_121300.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  6.13 MB

Name:  20150314_121307.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  5.96 MB

Name:  20150314_121318.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  5.00 MB

Name:  20150314_121331.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  4.92 MB

Name:  20150314_121354.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  6.05 MB

Name:  20150315_180712.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  7.45 MB

Name:  20150329_133619.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  5.20 MB

Last edited by ram-tuff; 02-06-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by ram-tuff
Thanks I will look into those. Do you know where I can a good set for cheap? LMC Truck are more expensive than rockauto. I also found some even cheaper on ebay.
LMC Truck sells them individually, and yeah, those are indeed expensive, but, they also sell a complete set, for both doors, that are MUCH cheaper... Yeah, it defies logic..... There is a thread about it around her somewhere. Year or three old now though.

Couple of weeks ago I decided to tackle a rear main seal leak. I did some research and got everything I needed for the job. All from autozone again. Budget of course. But they sell the felpro's and those have always performed well for me.

Anyway I didn't get many pics of the job as its been beat to death on the internet but this thread is for tracking purposes anyway. I had to scrub the underneath of the engine all the way around the oil pan as there must have been a nasty leak from something else, the whole bottom of the engine was caked in oil/dirt from years ago. Now I did notice the pan gasket leaking from the driver side just under the motor mount. So not only was the rear main leaking but so was the pan gasket. The things PO's leave us with...

So this truck has 169,000 miles on it. Has some nice scoring on the crank bearings as you can see below. She will need a rebuild soon... She already burns oil some, or maybe it was all leaking from my rear main??!! Yeah I wish I could get that lucky...

Didn't take any pics of the new pump but I also replaced the oil pump while I was under there. I primed the new pump before installing and cleaned the heck out of the the pickup tube and screen.

Did I mention now my transmission pan is leaking again? Yeah its a rolling chain of events with this thing... I will get some juicy pics of that when I tackle that job soon.
Actually, for almost 170 thousand miles, your bearing is in excellent condition. No discoloration, no copper showing. Still look really good.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 PM
ram-tuff
Professional

oh man, i am really glad to hear that sir! i call myself a gear head hot-rodder, or internet mechanic, i do both i guess. But that basically means i'm no expert but i have seen and experienced the differences in what you are saying about my bearings and their color. I get it. Sweet. Awesome. I think of the pressure plate on a clutch when its seen a ton of "clutching" or "burn outs man". Purple and other colors.

I am pretty happy to hear you confirm that. Now lets talk about the burning of oil in my engine lol. I burn through 2-3 quarts of oil on the highway doing 770 mile trip. Do you think I could just drop the oil pan, yank the cylinders, shoot on new rings, be done with it? Maybe I space the rings different than factory specs for the cylinder wear? Sorry, had to ask. Thanks.

Or maybe I have another problem I'm not thinking of? Dang thing runs great, has power, no signs of black or blue smoke coming from exhaust, at least at idle anyway in the driveway. It does smell a bit though. Not antifreeze sweet though. And my white bumper delete panel get pretty black after about 1 month of driving without a wash. I dig the dual exhaust that can't been seen from anywhere on the truck, I hid mine with down pipes just before the bumper.

Oil is always black as the ace of spades when I change it every 3000 miles. Don't forget, by 3000 miles I have usually added at least 2-4 quarts more of oil before it gets changed by 3000. Now, I will say I notice when I drive around town, it doesn't seem to use up the oil like it does on the highway.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ram-tuff; 01-17-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 PM
ram-tuff
Professional
Default Door Seals

Want to see a DIY not so pretty fix on some door seals? Look no further. I filled the hole completely with peramatex black. Then I put extra on the cracks and smoothed them over. You can see here in the pictures it basically ate the silicone. I ended up putting more on and getting a much smoother surface but didn't get pics of that yet. It's actually raining today(the day after i did this fix) so we will see how well they work. This is just to get me by till I can afford some new seals on the "shop truck".

Backstory: These doors have been hit with wire hangars more than once to unlock the truck when the crap PO installed keyless remote system installed incorrectly.

passenger side

Name:  20170116_143218.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  1.34 MB

driver side:

Name:  20170116_143229.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  20170116_143245.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  1.65 MB

Name:  20170116_143351.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.62 MB

Name:  20170116_143406.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  1.47 MB

Last edited by ram-tuff; 02-06-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

oh man, i am really glad to hear that sir! i call myself a gear head hot-rodder, or internet mechanic, i do both i guess. But that basically means i'm no expert but i have seen and experienced the differences in what you are saying about my bearings and their color. I get it. Sweet. Awesome. I think of the pressure plate on a clutch when its seen a ton of "clutching" or "burn outs man". Purple and other colors.

I am pretty happy to hear you confirm that. Now lets talk about the burning of oil in my engine lol. I burn through 2-3 quarts of oil on the highway doing 770 mile trip. Do you think I could just drop the oil pan, yank the cylinders, shoot on new rings, be done with it? Maybe I space the rings different than factory specs for the cylinder wear? Sorry, had to ask. Thanks.

Or maybe I have another problem I'm not thinking of? Dang thing runs great, has power, no signs of black or blue smoke coming from exhaust, at least at idle anyway in the driveway. It does smell a bit though. Not antifreeze sweet though. And my white bumper delete panel get pretty black after about 1 month of driving without a wash. I dig the dual exhaust that can't been seen from anywhere on the truck, I hid mine with down pipes just before the bumper.

Oil is always black as the ace of spades when I change it every 3000 miles. Don't forget, by 3000 miles I have usually added at least 2-4 quarts more of oil before it gets changed by 3000. Now, I will say I notice when I drive around town, it doesn't seem to use up the oil like it does on the highway.

Thoughts?
That's not too bad either... My truck goes thru a quart about every 150 miles.... only smokes a little at start up, nothing going down the road. I suspect it is leaking from the valve covers, and burning some off on the exhaust manifolds, as I never see anything on the ground. I am also pretty sure that my valve seals, and possibly guides as well.... are pretty much shot. But, with north of 200K miles on it, not like it doesn't have an excuse.

You may want to degrease the engine REALLY well, thru some dye in the oil, drive it for a few days, then hit it with a UV lamp, and see what shows up.

Can't drop the pistons out the bottom with the engine in the truck. I don't know if there is room to get 'em out, but, the crank would have to come out as well, and that is difficult to do when the engine is still bolted to the trans. I just picked up another motor, that when the budget permits, I'll go thru, and then just swap 'em out.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM
ram-tuff
Professional

Yeah they have an excuse that's for sure

I'm voting for valve seals, makes the most sense. That probably also explains why when I bought this truck it had a TON of grit/oil buildup all around the engine. Probably slow leaks on the valve covers leaking down the engine then dirt catching.

I opened up the valve covers shortly after I bought it and everything was coverd in a black film. I was worried then, but since I have consistanly changed the oil every 3000 and ran a quart of mystery oil through it once.

My bet, since you reminded me of all that, is those valve seals are leaking, burning the leaking oil all in the valve covers which is why they are so black. some exhaust fumes burning in there are helping too to both break the valve cover seals over time and harden the burnt oil all over the rockers and such...

EDIT: New valve job on my mustang a few years back was like $150. Might be worth it to see if this engine will last another 100K

Last edited by ram-tuff; 01-18-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Tboned
Rookie

From what I've read be ready for the heads to be cracked and useless if you go that route. Aftermarket does support some replacements.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:35 AM
ram-tuff
Professional

Originally Posted by Tboned
From what I've read be ready for the heads to be cracked and useless if you go that route. Aftermarket does support some replacements.
Well that doesn't sound promising. I will have to research that comment and validate. Doesn't sound normal. But if a machine shop does a bad job on the valves I can easily see that causing head damage. But if you saying there is research out there on our cast heads being weak in the valve guide area, and therefore causing them to crack after modification then ok, i will look into that.

Please elaborate. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM
ram-tuff
Professional
Default Rear Differential Rebuild

Update:

Rear Diff Rebuild. About a year after I bought the truck I decided to pop the rear diff and check it out. I noticed the RPM's were very high and I knew the gears had been swapped. When I popped the diff cover I found metal in the bottom of the housing attached to the magnet. No telling how long it was in there so I was like $h!t...

Got everything drained and this is what I found:

Name:  20150410_195841.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  4.58 MB

The clutch pack was falling apart. Crazy how it was still working though, half the outter disc on both sides was cracked and fell off. But posi was still alive, I knew because I had 2 rubber marks behind my burnouts

So I jacked her up and started looking around and found a tooth shaved. I didn't know what I was looking at at the time but stay tuned, I will explain that tooth later. At that time, I thought the gears were screwed and I needed new ones. So I bought new gears and had a shop do the clutch packs for me.

Name:  20150410_200017.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  4.64 MB

So I started tearing her down, and I did some research on this job and found a great article doing exactly this here - http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/10...dana-trac-lok/

I learned I needed a special tool for the female nuts in the axles to release the carrier guts. So I build one! My first time welding anything on my own. I was using an old lincoln stick welder. It sucked. The sticks kept sticking constantly while I tried to start the spark but after an hour or so I finally got er done.

I used a large nut on the end of a black iron gas pipe from lowes. Stuck a bolt in the other end to turn it with a wrench, but I never needed it, the nuts in the axles were loose enough i could turn them by hand. If I remember correctly....

Here are the adjuster nuts in the axle, look how much dirt and crap is in the axle tubing!

Name:  20150813_211959.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  3.47 MB

Name:  20150813_211936.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  4.07 MB

Here is my homemade tool, after welding the nut on the end, I had to grind it down to fit.

Name:  20150813_211834.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  3.88 MB

Name:  20150813_211846.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  3.26 MB

And here is the shaved tooth I thought meant the whole diff was screwed. So I bought new gears. At this time, I found out the formula of how to count the gears to find out what I had installed. They were 4:56 ratio gears. Wow. I was like, COOL man, this means I can do some serious burnouts with this baby! Boy was I ignorant to this stuff...

Name:  20150816_153753.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  3.34 MB

Name:  20150816_153802.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  3.63 MB

Name:  20150816_153914.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  4.01 MB

Yeah, they are fine, again, explanation coming later.

So the shop finished installing the new clutch pack, and I got my new gears from them. I kept the same ratio cuz I thought that was awesome... The shop put the new ring gear assembled for me and I did the rest. I installed the ring and pinion, took 2 crush sleeves before I finally bought an inch pound torque wrench to get it right. I will repeat that, you need an inch pound torque wrench to do the pinion nut adjustment properly... lol.

It was the same gear ratio, maybe that had something to do with it, but the spacers were the same, and all came out perfect with backlash and gear pattern. I was lucky there.

Then something amazing happened.

The center pin would not install because the TEETH WERE TOO BIG! I quickly figured out why that tooth was shaved. Actually it was at that point I figured out the tooth was actually "shaved" and not "broken". So the hot rod gear head way to install these massive 4:56 gears in this particular setup is to grab a die grinder and shave a tooth so that the friggin center pin will slip into the carrier. It was also at that point that I figured out the previous set of gears I had just went through the trouble to replace were FINE!!! So then my second find was that 4:56 gears are great for hauling trailers and stuff, or good for 4 wheeling in a mud hole or climbing hills, but a 2 WHEEL DRIVE truck that doesn't haul much. I was planning to lower the truck too for a better street stance. I mean come on, IFS, 2 wheel drive SS/T with racing stripes... Duh. I needed 3:73's. Not 4:56's.

I started researching and then started examining the old gears, and yeah, there were no wear marks hardly at all on them, no cracks, no nothing. I should have stopped right there and disassembled everything and took the gears back and got my $250+ dollars back but man that was a lot of work to do all over again. I was ticked off so I finished up the install and have those old set of perfectly fine 4:56 gears on the shelf... ID10T.

Whatever. I learned the hard way. Again.

Name:  20150829_120231.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  4.77 MB

Backlash was in spec.

Name:  20150829_120221.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  3.67 MB

White lithium grease on my spider gears and the brand new clutch packs

Name:  20150829_120258.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  3.29 MB

Pattern was perfect without changing original spacers from before.

Name:  20150829_121514.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  2.98 MB

Both Sides!!!

Name:  20150829_121551.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  4.43 MB

Name:  20150829_121558_001.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  1.79 MB

Man am I glad that's over... Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience, figured all this out on my own never doing this before, but I hate learning that the lack of experience costed me a couple hundred bucks...

Last edited by ram-tuff; 02-06-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Tboned
Rookie

Well that doesn't sound promising. I will have to research that comment and validate. Doesn't sound normal. But if a machine shop does a bad job on the valves I can easily see that causing head damage. But if you saying there is research out there on our cast heads being weak in the valve guide area, and therefore causing them to crack after modification then ok, i will look into that.

Please elaborate. Thanks.
Do a search in google for "2nd gen ram cracked heads". Lots of threads.

here's one.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-cracking.html

Really loving your thread and pictures!

Search this Thread