2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECO 85 gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM
SgtMoe
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECO 85 gas

Ok guys I need ur help...I heard that if u were to mix ECO 85 in ur regular gas...when mix together it boost ur octane way up there....Is this true? guys

Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Your truck won't run worth a fart on any mixture of E85. As its name implies, it is 85% alcohol. Your PCM doesn't have a clue about the stuff, and doesn't even care for the E10 that you normally run it on. Boost the alcohol content any higher, and you will be lucky if it even starts.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 PM
SgtMoe
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copy that brother....Thank u for ur time....

Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this a few months ago. I've wanted to try it but it's a little expensive for my budget. The gas milage would drop using e85 because it is a higher octane. The higher the octane, the harder it is for the fuel to burn, and the less power the fuel produces. Thus, requireing more fuel to run the engine the same way as it would regular gas. Not sure if it's worth it in money saved because e85 is cheaper, it would balance out because your at the pump more often. Most people who buy it wanna combat big oil. If your up to buying it i love to hear about how you like it.

https://www.change2e85.com/E85-flex-...ev1-jeep-dodge

Old 04-12-2017, 01:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In all reality, it isn't the octane rating that is the issue. The real issue is, alcohol simply doesn't release as much energy as gasoline when burned. Therefore, you need more of it to produce the same amount of power. Octane is just a measure of a fuels 'tendency' to want to burn. It still carries pretty much the same amount of energy, you can just utilize it differently. (higher compression, more spark advance, without as much danger of pre-ignition. Thus, more power from the engine.)

Given the minor price difference between regular gas, and E85, and the significant hit you take in fuel economy by running the E85, in my view, it simply isn't worth any investment at all to convert to a fuel that isn't that much cheaper, and will likely cost you just as much to run, as regular gas. It would take a VERY long time to recoup that 400 and change you spent to convert...... I think it would be money spent to no good purpose.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

and if your not flex fuel compatible you should not be running over 10 ethanol. It will corrode the fuel pump, lines and injectors if they are not e85 compatible.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by primem
and if your not flex fuel compatible you should not be running over 10 ethanol. It will corrode the fuel pump, lines and injectors if they are not e85 compatible.
Even the E10 does horrible things to your fuel system. It's one of the things the auto manufacturers have been complaining about for over a decade.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

i agree.
all the 87 octane pumps where i am all say may contain up to 10% ethanol...hard to get away from it. I run premium in my small engines to try to get away from it.
Have not seen any e85 pumps in Canada ever.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the gas I'll ever put in my truck will be e10. Always have and always will. I've never had one fuel system issue related to ethanol. Ethanol just gets a bad rap still from when it was introduced back in the day and was attributed to having a lot of water in it. Ethanol does not have water in it. Only when you let it sit forever does it start to migrate to water and other chemicals. When it comes out of the pump it's 99% alcohol.If it is bad, we'd see a lot more of the older vehicles suffering, because 90% of the population that puts e10 or higher in their car doesn't even know what the It is. They just go with the cheapest option.

I don't know this is more of a rant . I just don't like it when people start hating on ethanol. It supports our economy not the Syrians or such economy. You hear a lot about the Nebraska economy here with it, and at a lot of places it's hard to find gas without ethanol in it. Even priemum. I like it, I'll use it, plain and simple.

Last edited by CJSuhr; 04-12-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by CJSuhr
All the gas I'll ever put in my truck will be e10. Always have and always will. I've never had one fuel system issue related to ethanol. Ethanol just gets a bad rap still from when it was introduced back in the day and was attributed to having a lot of water in it. Ethanol does not have water in it. Only when you let it sit forever does it start to migrate to water and other chemicals. When it comes out of the pump it's 99% alcohol.If it is bad, we'd see a lot more of the older vehicles suffering, because 90% of the population that puts e10 or higher in their car doesn't even know what the It is. They just go with the cheapest option.

I don't know this is more of a rant . I just don't like it when people start hating on ethanol. It supports our economy not the Syrians or such economy. You hear a lot about the Nebraska economy here with it, and at a lot of places it's hard to find gas without ethanol in it. Even priemum. I like it, I'll use it, plain and simple.
I use it simply because I don't have a choice. The nearest 'ethanol free' gas station is over 20 miles away.

One of the issues with ethanol is, it's hydroscopic. It will absorb moisture right out of the air. Gasoline does not.

In case you haven't noticed, I am not a fan of ethanol. The original idea was reduce our dependence on foreign oil, which it didn't. Then, it was to reduce CO2 emissions from fossil fuels, which it doesn't. The mega-farmers love it because of all the government subsidies they get for raising corn for fuel. The general public doesn't much care for it, as all that corn being re-routed for 'fuel production', tends to increase the cost of animal feed, so, food prices go up.

Ethanol really isn't doing the country any favors. A small selection of the population profits from it, but, by and large, it just costs the rest of us more money.