2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Mike 84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply to frankie

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I don't normally turn people to other sites, but for some of the info you're looking for, I have a couple suggestions.

Pirate4x4 dot com has some great prerunner and rock bouncer builds for our trucks that include how to get around the weak points (front axles, trans, ECT...). Be ready to grow some thick skin before posting outside of the newbies area though. Lots of good knowledge, but it comes from some major a$$holes from what I've seen.

Desertracer dot com has a lot of great info about the safety side of things like roll cages and such. I believe they have direct links to SNORE requirements for safety equipment, which you'll want for the speeds you're looking at. Even at 50 MPH, an odd cut out on one side of the road can lead to total loss of control pretty easy. I've seen it first hand and had to wait for the sheriff to process the body because of no roll cage. 5 point harness kept him in though.

As for the rest of the truck, you're on the right page. Lots of knowledge in here for getting these magnums running good, and most of the little idiosyncrasies that pop up along the way. Welcome to the board, and please keep us updated with lots of pictures.
thanks a lot. I'll look into those. and as far as the safety area I've already been fabricating my own cage at work. I'm a welder.. and I'll definitely be posting lots of pictures of the progress.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Mike 84
Default :-)

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A powerglide is only a two-speed trans, and you are going to have a hard time coming up with adapters to just about any t-case. (so far as I know) Why would you want to install a two-speed trans???? At the speeds you are talking about, the engine would be winding close to red line. Not a good scene. The 46RE trans can be built to withstand the power you want to put down, and still be driveable on the street..... (is that even an issue?) Not to mention trying to mate it to the 360..... Someone probably makes an adapter for that... but still, why would you want to??

With the d60 axles, if you buy a parts truck, you can also get the 241 t-case. That will withstand just about anything you want to put in front of it.
thanks you answered my question perfectly. I got the idea from a YouTube video of a ram runner but it was a 4 gear set up and not knowing much about those transmitions I assumed it was either a powerglide or something similar....

so all in all I'm getting :

d60 axels
241 t case
46 RE trans. (Built)

Old 02-12-2017, 05:10 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A powerglide is only a two-speed trans, and you are going to have a hard time coming up with adapters to just about any t-case. (so far as I know) Why would you want to install a two-speed trans???? At the speeds you are talking about, the engine would be winding close to red line. Not a good scene. The 46RE trans can be built to withstand the power you want to put down, and still be driveable on the street..... (is that even an issue?) Not to mention trying to mate it to the 360..... Someone probably makes an adapter for that... but still, why would you want to??

With the d60 axles, if you buy a parts truck, you can also get the 241 t-case. That will withstand just about anything you want to put in front of it.
I'm guessing you haven't dealt with powerglides much . They are a great trans for 2 legged applications. I don't think I've ever seen an adapter for a t-case though. 1st gear would cover the 46re's 1st through 3rd, second would cover 2nd to 4th... At least that's what I would guess from the few I've played with. 80 MPH in first and never could find the top of second on the cars I've had them in.

With that being said, you're right about the 46 being a better choice for a project like this. In the desert world most of the trucks are running either a 727 or a TH400 behind 1000 screaming ponies at 100 plus MPH. Some are even starting to play with the new 6 speed (or more) autos. The poor old powerglide is getting outdated.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 84
thanks you answered my question perfectly. I got the idea from a YouTube video of a ram runner but it was a 4 gear set up and not knowing much about those transmitions I assumed it was either a powerglide or something similar....

so all in all I'm getting :

d60 axels
241 t case
46 RE trans. (Built)
Yep. That looks tasty.

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I'm guessing you haven't dealt with powerglides much . They are a great trans for 2 legged applications. I don't think I've ever seen an adapter for a t-case though. 1st gear would cover the 46re's 1st through 3rd, second would cover 2nd to 4th... At least that's what I would guess from the few I've played with. 80 MPH in first and never could find the top of second on the cars I've had them in.

With that being said, you're right about the 46 being a better choice for a project like this. In the desert world most of the trucks are running either a 727 or a TH400 behind 1000 screaming ponies at 100 plus MPH. Some are even starting to play with the new 6 speed (or more) autos. The poor old powerglide is getting outdated.
Thank you for making my day. Your description cracked me up so bad, the wife had to come in and check on me... Make sure I hadn't gone (further) insane.

I have driven powerglides and 60's era Camaros..... And for a hot rod, they are fun, for what he wants.... well, not so much.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Mike 84
Default Thank you everyone!

Thanks all ! by the time I'm done with you guys, you guys will have watched me build a truck purely based on input I get from u guys and a few of my own sources. anyone knowing a good source of Dana 60's? new or used?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Junkyards, craigslist, trashed trucks, etc. Finding a complete donor truck would be your best bet. That way, you can grab everything you want from it, scrap the rest, and sell the stuff off your truck you aren't going to use.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Mike 84
Default New additions

Originally Posted by Mike 84
My name is Mike and I have a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 Sport with the 360 or 5.9. I joined this forum because I've kinda grown attached to this particular truck. Basically I would like build ideas both mechanically and cosmetically. and coincidentally I am I the market for a new transfer case. I know my truck has a chain driven (tc) can I put a gear driven (tc) and if so what is the model number and or name and or yr/make/model of of the truck with a compatible gear driven (tc) 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. 5.9

Old 02-25-2017, 01:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Skip the throttle body spacer. It doesn't do a darn thing for our trucks, aside from lighten your wallet.

Cold Air intake isn't really a good 'bang for the buck' mod either. It draws air from the exact same place as the stock system, even with the funky tube running to the front of the engine compartment. If you were building a high revving motor, I could almost see it, but, for a truck, a free-flowing air filter in the stock housing is just as good, if not better. (as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg....)

Might wanna consider larger tires too. I think stock was 245/75/16??

What's the end goal here? (did I already ask you this?? )

Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Mike 84
Default End result

Well end result will be a 7-800hp independent suspension desert racing truck . for now honestly just trying to make her look pretty and run a little better but I did already take some of everyone's advice. I also got the 241 transfer case and have a trany build being done.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Mike 84
Default Also

I did get bigger tires the picture is just meant to show the brand and style.