2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear main inside oil pan!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:13 PM
rinowskib
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main inside oil pan!?!?!?!

So I just bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 5.2l 4wd. Throw out bearing was out so bought an all new clutch kit to put in it. Full disclosure I am a diesel mechanic (work on semi trucks) but don't have a lot of experience on pickups. Anyways I had oil showing on the bottom between trans and engine. Valve covers and everything else are fine. I have the transmission out and the flywheel off. Now this is a little different than what I'm used to seeing. For one it's a two piece seal which is fine I get it. The thing that's troubling me is it looks like the rear main is INSIDE OF THE OIL PAN! If it's leaking wouldn't the leak be INSIDE THE PAN.???? It looks like I have to remove the rear bearing cap to do it, which I haven't done yet. Wondering if it's just the oil pan leaking at this point although it has all the signs of a rear main leak like what I usually see. What do I do????

Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a 2 -piece lip seal that is in the main cap and block. Old school

Old 02-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

This is what the block looks like with the cap off. Oil seal goes in the groove to the left.

The oil pump bolts to the rear cap.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, pan comes off, rear cap comes off. Lots of little edges and creases to seal up and the seal itself is a pain to get right. Then you get it all together and pray is stops leaking.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM
ram-tuff
Professional

I just did mine, it ain't hard. Plenty of instructions and videos out there showing examples of others doing it. Those really helped me get everything right the first time. That and the SM.

My thread with a few pics and comments on the job but there are others that are better as i'm just documenting my truck for history:

Post #8
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...m-project.html

Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 PM
rinowskib

Thanks guys I got it no problem. Just never seen one like that before

Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Most people don't know about it. Even shops.

Before I did my own clutch and rear seal, I asked a shop to quote me and he said he'd throw in a new seal included with the clutch. I said are you sure? It's not a one piece and you have to drop the pan, etc. He said of course its one piece and right there after the clutch is pulled. I knew better so I walked.