2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V-10 lifter noise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts
Default V-10 lifter noise.

This is a strange one..... Doesn't matter what the engine temp is, at right around 2300 RPM, if I am accelerating gently, in first gear, I get some pretty loud valvetrain noise. If I step on the gas a bit harder, or, accelerate from a stop fairly energetically, noise stops, or, never shows up. (respectively) Oil pressure is 60psi at cold idle, and never drops below about 30 even when fully warmed up. I do get a bit of lifter noise at cold start, but, as soon as oil pressure comes up, noise goes away. In higher gears, I never hear it. It's only in first.

I have done a buncha research on this topic, and found a LOT of threads in various places, but, not a single one ever presents a solution. One thread talked about adjusting the valves, but, I was under the impression that there is no provision for doing so on these motors. Is that incorrect? It seems to me, that an adjustment would indeed solve the issue.....

The engine has 132K on it, has never been rebuilt, and runs GREAT. Even when the noise is present, there is plenty of power, and the engine doesn't miss a beat. I do not believe it is spark knock. Totally different sound. (that, and I am familiar with what a 'loose' valvetrain sounds like.)

Anyone else familiar with this, or know of a fix? This truck was very well taken care of by the previous (original) owner..... So, I don't think it was caused by neglect. I am planning on changing the oil soon, and just going with some good 10w30 dino oil. (I don't know what's currently in it. I know some older engines don't care for synthetic oil overmuch... hoping that is at least part of it....)

Or should I go with 10w40?

Also, the truck REALLY likes to hold first gear..... unless I step on the go-pedal HARDER????? WTF? That one just confuses the snot out of me. I am going to change the TPS tomorrow, for a different problem, and am hoping it also takes care of this one.

Truck is in my sig.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got 160,000 mine and haven't experienced any lifter noise on mine but do notice a random tapping from what sounds like the rear of the motor if I'm up under the truck. Oil pump? It shows good pressure all the time on gauge, but starting think about a getting a second opinion gauge. I run regular 10-30.

You mention your first gear hanging unless you give it more gas....mine does the same thing. I've moved the TV cable back and forth (at least half a dozen times) and cant find a sweet spot for it. If I get it to where 1-2 is decent, then 2-3 is way to early. I'm starting to wonder about the valve body. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if it will relearn how I drive too, but nothing seems to change. TPS is something I've thought about too. I put the truck up to a scanner and the TPS graph is smooth up and down. I know the truck was running on bad pressure sensor/solenoids for quit a while from previous owners and wondering if that might have something to do with it (something got sticky from not shifting right for so long).

Last edited by racefan41; 02-18-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:29 AM
barnett468
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had horrible lifter noise . put some lucas engine cleaner in it and the noise was gone after 50 miles.

if the tps is bad enough, it "should" cause the check engine light to come on . my trans was hunting constantly . the engine light was on and the scanner said the tps was bad . put a new tps in it and it fixed the prob.

i would definitely use 10w-40 or 15w-40 instead of a 30.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-18-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Thanks Guys. I think I will throw some engine cleaner in there, run it for a while, then get the oil changed. (or, do it myself... we'll see) Hopefully, that'll take care of it.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:37 AM
barnett468
Rookie

its easy to change it yourself . there is a ton of room to do that . my lifter noise was so bad i could not drive the truck for fear of it blowing up and all the lifters were making noise.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by barnett468
its easy to change it yourself . there is a ton of room to do that . my lifter noise was so bad i could not drive the truck for fear of it blowing up and all the lifters were making noise.
I have trouble getting up off the floor. For my 96, it was actually CHEAPER for me to pay someone else to do the oil change..... Given that the 8.0 holds 7 quarts of oil though, don't know if that will remain the case......

Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 AM
barnett468
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have trouble getting up off the floor.

I used to also so I quit drinkin so much.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by barnett468
I used to also so I quit drinkin so much.
LOLOL.

If only it were so easy.

Unfortunately, I am afflicted with MS, so, the body just don't work as good as I wish it would..... Getting down is easy, getting back up? Not so much..... One of the reasons I don't do this kind of thing for a living any more. (or, much of anything else either for that matter.....) Yep. We are indeed having FUN!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually get clatter right after a cold startup. Then it quiets down after a few miles. It clatters less after an oil change for awhile. So I just change the oil a bit more often with a 10w-30 Valvo or Rottela. This has been going on for many years and I just deal with it.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Torxhead
I usually get clatter right after a cold startup. Then it quiets down after a few miles. It clatters less after an oil change for awhile. So I just change the oil a bit more often with a 10w-30 Valvo or Rottela. This has been going on for many years and I just deal with it.
Listening to it at idle today, it rattles a little bit.... even though oil pressure is over 40PSI. I think some adjustable rockers would solve the issue.

Quick Reply: V-10 lifter noise.