2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Died While Driving, Will Crank But Not Start.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Darren270
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Died While Driving, Will Crank But Not Start.

Hi everybody!

Last night, I was cruising down the road at about 50 mph when suddenly the engine just died. I didn't even realize it happened until I tried to accelerate and realized there was nothing happening when stepping on the gas. The engine ran and idled fine prior to this happening. The only problem I was having prior this was the transmission. Sometimes it would refuse to upshift unless I took my foot of the gas and then it would "clunk" into gear. This problem started about 5 days ago and was intermittent. One day it wouldn't do it it all and then the next time I drove it it was really bad. The next day it would do it constantly right from the start. I ordered a governor pressure sensor and solenoid and was waiting on them to come in when my truck died last night. Not sure if the two problems are related.

I noticed the oil pressure dropped to zero and the light came on right when I realized the engine cut out. Which I thought was sort of odd since the truck acted like someone literally just turned the truck off. I still have power. The engine will crank, but not start. No codes.

Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar issue with cutting out from time to time then eventually not starting up again. This was on a 4.0 Jeep that had a bad crankshaft sensor.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

See what's missing, spark, or fuel.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Darren270
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See what's missing, spark, or fuel.
Well, going by some of the recommendations online, I tried replacing the throttle position sensor and the ignition coil. Still won't start.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do just that. Although, just to throw it out there, I'm leaning towards the fuel pump. I noticed that I'm not hearing that tell tale "whirrrrrrrrr...click" when I turn the key the ACC position.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:38 PM
truckguy02
Default sudden death

mine did this. I was rolling along about 50mph on my way home from work and it was like some just turned the key off. After getting it home i gave a a small drink of gas right down the throttle body and cranked it over it fired so i new it was not getting fuel. Yup fuel pump time and i have just filled in the morning, o joy. Don't buy the cheap ones on ebay as they don't last, believe me you don't want to do this job twice, ask me i know!! ya both times a full tank.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Turn the key to ON, I don't think the fuel pump is engaged in ACC..... I don't think the ASD relay is tripped either. (power for coil and injectors.)

Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Courtney Russo

I had this happen to my 97, ended up being the fuel pump, I'd check that out first.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 AM
corndogg
Amateur

if it will start with someone spraying starting fluid into the TB but dies without it, most likely it's your fuel pump. I had something similar happen years ago on my way to work. truck suddenly died after running fine and wouldn't start. got to looking and checking things and found I had a plug wire that had come out the holder and was laying on the exhaust manifold. it had burnt through the insulation and the spark was being sent there instead of the plug. after clipping the wire back in place off the manifold the truck fired right up. the bad wire was changed that evening and the truck ran fine up until it broke a ring a year later.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:59 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by truckguy02
mine did this. I was rolling along about 50mph on my way home from work and it was like some just turned the key off. After getting it home i gave a a small drink of gas right down the throttle body and cranked it over it fired so i new it was not getting fuel. Yup fuel pump time and i have just filled in the morning, o joy. Don't buy the cheap ones on ebay as they don't last, believe me you don't want to do this job twice, ask me i know!! ya both times a full tank.
not at all funny but I can't help but chuckle!
I had a similar problem,years ago. since then I'm still leary of filling my tank!!!!

Search this Thread