2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Zgreen91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE transmission concerns

Okay, picked up a 2000 Ram Laramie 4x4 5.9 a couple days ago for a screaming deal ($800) and was able to drive it home. Previous owner swore up and down the transmission was toast and it needed a new one. Went picked it up, put about 3 quarts of fluid in it and it drove fantastic. Did a filter change and trans pan gasket (was leaking from cork pan gasket something fierce) and ran into a few issues. First off, I ordered a filter and gasket direct from Dodge. VIN ran, parts pulled from my exact VIN. Removed pan and filter and noticed a slight difference in filters. The one I removed was a flat foam like filter. Had 3 T25 mounting bolts and that was all. The one I got from Dodge was a metal encased filter with only 2 mounting bolts. Called 4 different Dodge dealers, they all confirmed I had the correct filter and I was just advised to mount with the 2 bolts and it'd be okay. So after new filter and fluid truck shifted great and ran fantastic. Very very smooth shifts and no jerking or flares between shifts. Then last night after about 75 miles and some highway driving, was coming up a fairly large hill and the trans was jumping between a few gears then the OD OFF light came on. Wouldn't let me turn it back on or off, just stayed on. No difference in the way the transmission shifted or ran. Just had the OD OFF light on and after that it was all in town driving so not sure if it was shifting into OD or not. Didn't go above 35mph. Checked fluid and fluid was good and full. Let the truck cool down for about an hour and half (I had got to where I was going) then when I went to drive it home the OD OFF light was off and the trans shifted flawlessly the 45 miles back to my place.

Any idea what's going on? Did I use the wrong filter even though Dodge swears I had the right one? Anything in particular I need to check?

Little back ground on me real quick, I am a Technician and worked for Chevrolet for around 3 years. I do have some experience with transmission tear down and rebuilds (4L60E anyone?) and am now in an independent shop. So I have full access to whatever tools I may need and a lift. Just trying to see what's common on these 46RE's and what I need to do before tearing down a transmission. I did notice that the thermostat is staying open so I'm going to fix that fist and go from there.

Other then the above, what all do I need to do to keep a 46RE on the road? What preventative measures can I do and what do I need to keep an eye out on?

Should also add that im mainly looking to keep this truck stock. It MIGHT see a leveling kit but very unlikely. I got this to tow my 2 quads and a small boat, any maybe a larger flat bed trailer with a SxS and a couple quads. It is not a daily driver and will be parked more often then not.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my novel. If more information is needed I'll do what I can to get it.

Last edited by Zgreen91; 02-23-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I think they updated the filter design at some point.... I seem to remember reading something along those lines.

Likely what is happening is the one-way check valve in the trans cooler line going to the bottom fitting on the radiator is at least partially clogged, so, the trans heats up. Once it gets to a certain temp, the PCM will disable O/D, and eventually, turn the 'Trans Temp" light on. I take it you never saw the light?

There are a couple DIYs in that section to eliminate the check valve. That should be your first step.

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Zgreen91

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think they updated the filter design at some point.... I seem to remember reading something along those lines.

Likely what is happening is the one-way check valve in the trans cooler line going to the bottom fitting on the radiator is at least partially clogged, so, the trans heats up. Once it gets to a certain temp, the PCM will disable O/D, and eventually, turn the 'Trans Temp" light on. I take it you never saw the light?
Never saw a Trans temp light, just the OD OFF light.

PO said radiator was jut replaced (looks clean and shiney so i believe him)

Would just adding an aux trans cooler help and just dont run to the rad?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In order for the cooler to work, the fluid has to actually flow thru it.... Need to deal with the check valve, and that must might solve your problem.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Zgreen91

My apologies, thought I read that the check ball was in the radiator. Will order the parts for the cooler line and install them within the next couple days.

What are the best ways to keep the transmission alive? Should I get a deeper oil pan and transmission cooler and be fine, or should I be looking into more options like the sure shift kit or whatever for just mild towing and driving?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just drill out the check ball, clean the line out good, and reinstall it.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 AM
mokurt
Amateur

Mine shifts into OD at about 50 MPH.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:35 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

98 and up 46re changed to the plastic encased filters. You can put the updated filter in place of the flat foam one without any issues. Be sure to put the 3rd bolt back in the valve Body though. Like heyyou said, get rid of the check ball and maybe even add an additional trans cooler if you're concerned about it getting hot.

For fluid, make sure you use only ATF+4. Anything else is not good for these transmissions. I have already seen clutches delaminate because the wrong fluid was used.

Also it wouldn't hurt to adjust the bands. You can do the forward band without dropping the pan. If you're not having any issues then you 'm wait to do the reverse band till the next time you drop the pan.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
For fluid, make sure you use only ATF+4. Anything else is not good for these transmissions. I have already seen clutches delaminate because the wrong fluid was used.
FYI walmart makes an affordable (comparatively) ATF+4 now. Just over $4 a quart

Old 02-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Ram1500Sport

I have also had some transmission issues... Mine seems to hold gears too long and at around 40-45mph at light throttle it will swap between second and 3rd gear repeatedly unless I give it more throttle or back off a little.. I just bought a kit off ebay with new pressure sensor and solenoid.. I'm also going to do the check valve delete..I also need to check my TV cable adjustment and adjust the bands...... this kit was inexpensive...MonteC has a very good write up on our transmissions..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191833647221

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...info-only.html

Last edited by Ram1500Sport; 02-24-2017 at 08:31 PM.