2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 318

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM
smithjeremiah579
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram 318

just bought truck, runs and shifts fine. 141000 miles did a fyull tune u oil change and cleaned the throttle body along with replacing transmission speed sensor located on transmisson housing. the truck seems sluggish and when its in park the tach bounces slightly, not much but enough to make me worry. oil pressure is fine as well. would a coil cause this, it doesnt seem to be misfiring and the throttle response is good, just seems to lag power

Old 02-23-2017, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Plenum fixed yet? Clogged cat? Old O2 sensors?

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 PM
smithjeremiah579

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Plenum fixed yet? Clogged cat? Old O2 sensors?

Welcome to DF!
thanks idk anything about dodge or the 318 it's got 141000 miles on it, what do u mean by the plenum being fixed the intake doesn't look like it's leaking and it's not throwing any ses lights. Had dual straight pipe exhaust from the cat back

Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The leak is internal to the intake. Gotta look down the throttle body bores. See any oil? (pooling oil, a little bit in there is normal, comes from PCV valve.)

Probably time for timing chain and gears too.

So, no cats left?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:14 PM
smithjeremiah579

Yes it has cats and I will take a look down the intake tomorrow i d rive it 2 and from work and want a lil more power it won't even break the tires loose In the rain unless I'm turning aND it's a one wheel burner too, o thought all dodges were posi under the hood on options it says limited slip. What gears do u recommend and also how about an accel coil there was some corrosion on the inside of the old.distributor cap on the terminals. Would the coil help out in performance and I thought about shorty headers and a tuner as well. Thanks for ur input always been a chevy guy but absolutly love the sound of a dodge

Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 PM
smithjeremiah579

Ok just saw a kit on Hughes performance that gives u a aluminum plenum plate with all the gaskets and watched a video on diy removal and install, not hard at all. I figured this combined with the accel coil and a nice set of shorty headers and my straight pipes should wake this truck up. Now my ? Is will this fix my heating issue if I replace the thermostat I have tried to burn the system but still heat is barely there I know this is a common problem on dodges, should I flush the heater core as well? And one more, with the mileage if I have the tranny serviced which I believe it never had been, a complete flush and fill and filter change will I end up screwing my tranny I did this in my 91 chevy and lost 3rd and 4th and eventually reverse as well. Thanks.for ur input and hints, I really like the truck and may become.loyal mopar fan

Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The stock coil is pretty powerful, and getting a meaner one won't really help, unless the stocker is on its way out anyway.

While you are doing the plenum, you should go after the timing set too. You are already going to be most of the way there, and the timing chain on my 5.9 made the biggest overall difference in how it ran. (previous truck to the one in my sig.)

Shorty headers are a good idea.

Poor heat is all to common. The heater core is a great place to trap air, and it is very good at it. Backflushing the heater core is a good idea, trying to keep as much fluid as possible in the core/lines when you put it back together.

Do NOT flush the trans, if it has been neglected. On a high mileage trans, that is pretty much a guarantee that you will need to rebuild it within six months. More likely less than one. (and I have seen them come off the rack after a flush with a trans that didn't work any more....) Change the fluid and filter, but, do NOT flush the trans. Get rid of the check valve in the cooler line up by the radiator too. (there are a coulple DIY's for this in the FAQ/DIY section.)

I love my Dodge truck. I especially love the power of the 8.0..... I don't care for the appetite for fuel, but, I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it. I still Love it.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I would vote "yes" on tha Accel coil. Maybe lower down on the list but I would do it and new plug wires.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 PM
smithjeremiah579

Thanks guys appreciate it and when u say do not flush tranny meaning don't have the torque converter flushed right and when I do the tranny pan fill and filter should I throw a bottle.of lucas Trans slip in it?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. No additives for the trans. MonteC, our one-time resident trans guru, suggested that there wasn't a single additive out there on the market that he would EVER recommend dumping into your trans. Keep a clean filter, and good fluid, and that's it. (ATF +4)