2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 1500 Front end help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by denn69
I feel ya. My horror story goes like this. Mine were leaking so I decided to do them both. Took it all apart the drivers side seal is a snap once you take out the diff but the pass seal is a *&^%ing nightmare. Tried pressing it in and tried turnng it in with a threaded rod. It kept getting screwed up. Finally I used like 4 or 5 extensions and went in through the drivers side axle tube with a socket set against the seal and tapped it in no problem. Replaced all the U-joints and was good. Fast forward to the winter started slipping so tossed it in 4wd all was good put it back in 2WD headed an hour from home and snap. Pass Ujoint busted. This wiped out the new seal I put in also cause I had to drive a bit with it broken. Got it back home and decided that will never happen again. My axle got ripped out stripped and powercoated Black. New bearings Diff and pinion, Bought Yukon axles and a CAD delete Pass axle, yukon Lock out hubs and CTM u-joints. Also threw in a set of Dyna Trac rebuildable upper ball joints and Moog Lowers. I think Im good as far as fron ends go. With Lock outs nothing is moving anymore and CTM ujoints are for rock crawlers lol. I got a new set on ebay for 250. They are 500 for a set. Talk about over doing it. I love my 2nd gen
Now that's dedication!!! Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if I should write newspapers or sue the shops that have screwed me over the years. In the end, I try to just move on but justice would be nice just once in my life. The reason I don't trust anybody is because I've been screwed over too many times. The second shop I said I used for the front end, I even recommended him to other friends and colleagues. Then years later, I take my beloved truck to him for an "OEM SACHS" clutch. The repair took him all day. The invoice and receipt say "install SACHS clutch kit." I paid for Sachs. I told him Sachs. Guess what? A year and half later, I'm tearing into my truck with a mechanic buddy to replace the clutch because it failed. The clutch brand? Some chinese crap. Doesn't say SACHS anywhere on it. Reason it died was it had a P L A S T I C throwout bearing. I kid you not. PLASTIC. Are you freakin' kidding me? I hate mechanics. Don't trust a one of them. He took my money for Sachs and put in some china crap instead. That's a thief and thieves are lower than rapists and murderers in my book.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 PM
denn69
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Now that's dedication!!! Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering if I should write newspapers or sue the shops that have screwed me over the years. In the end, I try to just move on but justice would be nice just once in my life. The reason I don't trust anybody is because I've been screwed over too many times. The second shop I said I used for the front end, I even recommended him to other friends and colleagues. Then years later, I take my beloved truck to him for an "OEM SACHS" clutch. The repair took him all day. The invoice and receipt say "install SACHS clutch kit." I paid for Sachs. I told him Sachs. Guess what? A year and half later, I'm tearing into my truck with a mechanic buddy to replace the clutch because it failed. The clutch brand? Some chinese crap. Doesn't say SACHS anywhere on it. Reason it died was it had a P L A S T I C throwout bearing. I kid you not. PLASTIC. Are you freakin' kidding me? I hate mechanics. Don't trust a one of them. He took my money for Sachs and put in some china crap instead. That's a thief and thieves are lower than rapists and murderers in my book.

Ive been screwed many times over also. People have no integrity anymore. Pride in work in a hard thing to get these days. Now its the good enough job. Thats why I have a post on here trying to find out about Hughes Engines Valve job. He has some custom valve job he puts on his heads. Ive heard mixed things and dont completly trust it. It just Sad anymore. Anyway, To the OP, Your better off getting a manual and doing it yourself, If you can lay the truck up. Its good to get into it yourself. There are plenty of people here that can walk you through it. Unless you have 100% trust in a shop. Just watch it cause front ends get costly even with stock parts, and people love to say, oh by the way you need wheel bearings, your ball joints are bad. Go in for brakes and come out a grand down. A junk yard axle is not much better either. Again, the hardest part of the job is the PASS Axle seal. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

To add to denn69, go get the seals yourself (Timken or Dana) and call shops to see if they'll install your parts. Reason I went this route was the first place that replaced my seals blamed the whole axle shaft and said I need all new parts in my diff. That was after their seal job only lasted a year. Thankfully I got suspicious and started research. Then I bought the correct parts and drove to an industrial area of town and started knocking on doors. Thought I had a good guy but in the end, they're all just trying to pay for their new boat. So know your stuff and make sure only the seals and/or ujoints are done. Get an upfront quote. You should be out less than $600 in a few hours.

I guess it's a good thing that I've been screwed because it made me learn about my truck and parts, etc. I've now done my clutch, dash, t-chain, water pump, brakes, dash, alarm, lift kit, etc. Never would've dreamed this back in the day. That's the good part of growing up-- learning to do new things.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:23 PM
mtntrogger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have been, and still am, agonizing over which route to go here. I either drive the 2 hours each way to a junk yard that would have a axle, then of course spend the time pulling it, would probably need someone to help me since I imagine the entire assembly is pretty heavy....then hope its sound. OR pay the $170 for the kit from quad 4x4 that includes seal installation tool and seals. I am leaning slightly towards attempting myself. I figure if I applied the 4 hours of drive time (that it would take for me to get a used axle assmbly) plus the time it would trake to "pull it", towards doing it myself I might be saving time and money. However if I screw it up, or get stuck it could potentially cost quite a bit more than if i just had payed someone to do it in the first place. Would I need any other special tools besides the seal tool and possibly a borrowed gear puller for the carrier ? While I have it torn apart I would probably want to check out and possibly replace some other parts. I was thinking that the bearing and axle u joint would need a looking at. And maybe the ball joints, and cad bushings. She also needs shocks too which I would plan on doing at the same time as this. The other issue is that I live in a condo/apartment type place that frowns upon parking lot repairs. I have done several, that lasted a few days and didnt get any flac. Im just worried that I could get stuck with this thing all torn apart. How much time would you guys (that have done this before) say I should plan on for JUST the seal replace ? I can factor in the other stuff ( joints , bearing, shocks) later. Thanks again

Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

It's probably going to be at least one full day for the seals. If everything goes well..... (rarely happens), it might be quicker.

You could probably drop the axle by yourself. (junkyard axle) but, I find it highly unlikely you would be able to load it by yourself. Folks at the yard may help, but, that would be something I would want to know BEFORE I made the trip. (they won't just pull it for you, and just drop it in the back of your truck??)

I much prefer to fix what I have, provided it is indeed fixable, rather than replace it with an unknown condition part. You may end up in worse shape than you are now....

Since you have to basically tear down the entire axle, I would seriously consider doing the u-joints, (will add a bit of time to the job) and possibly brakes, and wheel bearings. (you are going to do the labor anyway... so, no additional time required)

Might wanna do a thorough inspection first, decide what parts need to go, and which can stay, so you will have everything you need on hand when you actually do the job. Pull the tires, inspect the brakes/bearings/u-joints, see what kind of condition they are in.

Where are you located? If you aren't too far, I have a nice garage, with lots of tools, and a spare set of hands.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:22 PM
mtntrogger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HeyYou, Thanks again for all the help youve offered here. Im in vail colorado. I am thinking that the U joints and bearings will need replacing also. Havent given them a proper inspection, but with how long this seal has been leaking, it would seem likely they could be done. I replaced the brake pads just this past fall, so all good there. I do wonder about them ball joints also.. Do you think the total time for all repairs would take me more than 15 hours ? would you recommend I get a different seal kit than the one quad 4x4 has ? Not sure what seal they include, but it does state on the site that the tool only works with specific seals....Next time the weather is decent here I will pull the tires off and have a look at the joints , what else should I be checking ? Is there any way for me to know if the gears (pinion, carrier) and bearings are ok ? Four wheel drive does still work, but makes a ruckus (clickitty clacks)when turning.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, that's a bit of a cruise.

Ball Joints can be time consuming, even with all the right tools. ESPECIALLY if you have never done them before? There are advantages to the shotgun approach though.... Not having to pull the axles thru the seals again being right up there on the list..... and not having to duplicate a bunch of labor.....

The noise when turning is likely the U-joints. (unless it is coming from behind you, then it is likely a stretched chain in the t-case.....)

Seals that come with the tool are going to be either the dana seals, or something of equal quality, since they will work with the tool..... That shouldn't be a problem. Could always call them, and ask what brand seals they are....

Got a friend that can help?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:56 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Got a friend that can help?
And a driveway where you could park the truck for a day or so, while you have it apart?

Although, it is a good time of the year to visit Michigan or Oregon...

Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dbbd1
And a driveway where you could park the truck for a day or so, while you have it apart?

Although, it is a good time of the year to visit Michigan or Oregon...
Usually this time of year, I am used to seeing sub-zero temps. Today, it's around 50...... Not exactly what you would expect from Winter, in Michigan.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:02 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But many fewer tourists than in Vail...