2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some Advice For Replacing Control Arms And Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Advice For Replacing Control Arms And Fuel Pump

1) Just buy the full control arms. The top control arms have two "bumps" that keep the ball joint attachment from sitting squarely and the bottom control arm has a slight angle so the ball joints don't press in straight. If you Google or search here you will see many people get crooked ball joints or strip the control arms and end up with loose ball joints. It's not worth the headache or expense-just buy complete control arms.
2) The cheap fuel pump/filter replacement kits don't work on my 98 1500 5.2L. I had to order a complete fuel module after buying the cheap "rebuild kit" which won't work for my truck anyway. They advertise the pump/filter kit as 1998-2001. They are wrong. Also, you will need to rent or buy a special "socket" to remove and replace the ring that screws the module on the fuel tank. $90 with a full refund on return at Autozone.
It took 6 weeks of trial and error to finally get my truck back on the road. If I knew these two things it would have been leas than a week. My trying to be cheap cost me an extra $129 in wasted parts and tools.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

With regard to control arms, I'm assuming you are speaking of a 2WD truck. Another option when installing the ball joints is to tack weld them in place once installed if they are the least bit loose. I've had to do that on more than one occasion on older MOPARs.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, 2wd.