2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'97 headlight

Old 02-25-2017, 08:20 AM
madmikesmech
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 headlight

The headlights on my '97 ram 1500 are yellowed and perform poorly.
What are better the "crystal clear" lens's or the replacement that are like the original with like "defuser.glass" like lens's?
Both of the replacement units are aftermarket
Thank you in advance!
Mike

Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I just got the stock replacements from AM-Autoparts.com. They were 65 bucks for the pair, and came with bulbs. (even though they say they don't....) I had already purchased bulbs though, so, those just became spares. I also installed the 'heavy duty headlight harness' from LMC truck. Once the headlights were aimed, the light is MUCH improved over the old stock housings. (one was ok, the other was severely yellowed, and collected a fair bit of moisture in it....)

Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Thanks Hey You, I'm having no issues EXCEPT the yellowed lenses. how does that LMC truck harness work? Is it larger gauge wire? UnregisteredUser, also mentioned that harness as an upgrade, I think I will do a little detailed research on the harness and relay install.
great forum and members!!! thank you
Mike

Old 02-25-2017, 01:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Thanks Hey You, I'm having no issues EXCEPT the yellowed lenses. how does that LMC truck harness work? Is it larger gauge wire? UnregisteredUser, also mentioned that harness as an upgrade, I think I will do a little detailed research on the harness and relay install.
great forum and members!!! thank you
Mike
The current wiring runs all the power thru the switch in the dash. (it controls the ground side of the circuit.) So, there are some limitations there. The LMC harness changes things around, so the switch just controls two relays. (high, and low beam) With the harness, the headlights are powered directly off the battery, giving them MUCH better power flow, hence, brighter light output. The harness is dead simple to install. I only had to drill one hole, for the passenger side ground wire. (there was a convenient ground already there on the drivers side.) It's about as plug and play as you can get, and the price is reasonable. (like 27 bucks, but, gotta add shipping to that, so, a bit over 40 bucks total.)

Old 02-25-2017, 02:51 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I just got the stock replacements from AM-Autoparts.com. They were 65 bucks for the pair, and came with bulbs. (even though they say they don't....) I had already purchased bulbs though, so, those just became spares. I also installed the 'heavy duty headlight harness' from LMC truck. Once the headlights were aimed, the light is MUCH improved over the old stock housings. (one was ok, the other was severely yellowed, and collected a fair bit of moisture in it....)
Nice' I got on the AM-Autoparts.com, and could not register therefore, I could not view the site good. I took the chance with these from eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-HOUSI...3267#vi-ilComp. I will get on the LMC site and look into purchasing that wire harness relay set up

Old 02-25-2017, 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Nice' I got on the AM-Autoparts.com, and could not register therefore, I could not view the site good. I took the chance with these from eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-HOUSI...3267#vi-ilComp. I will get on the LMC site and look into purchasing that wire harness relay set up
Those look a lot like the ones I got. Even though it says "no bulbs", don't be surprised if you find them in there.

Changing them can be fun. I had to loosen up the bumper on the 98, let it drop down, and then it was easy. Getting those bolts was not.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

Yeah, I read your post on how you went about the change out! Well regardless of the hassle I must do it asap! My.headlights are terrible, I live in a rural area, deer, and other critters roam out into the roads at night, and it's real easy to "overdrive" the headlights the way she is.
I thank you and the others on this great forum for all the help full info!
I think I'm going to run the 9004 Sylvania Silver Stars Halogens, IF those assemblies do not come with bulbs

Old 02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I still have the oem lenses, that are still in pretty good shape. I do polish them with Meguiars PlastX lens polish. Although replacing them would be less elbow grease in the long run. I did have a light bulb blow from moisture in the housing once, so I drilled a 1/4" vent hole in the top of the housing. I has been that way with no issues for years since.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:54 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Changing them can be fun. I had to loosen up the bumper on the 98, let it drop down, and then it was easy. Getting those bolts was not.
I had the same experience, but the bolts weren't challenging because the truck's not rusty. From the looks of the Ranch Hand I won't have to drop it out of the way next time and I'm hoping it's so because the Ranch Hand is one heavy mother humbler.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I had the same experience, but the bolts weren't challenging because the truck's not rusty. From the looks of the Ranch Hand I won't have to drop it out of the way next time and I'm hoping it's so because the Ranch Hand is one heavy mother humbler.
It wasn't because they were rusty, its simply because of where they are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 headlight