2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radius Arm Movement

Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

After my experience with death wobble when I first purchased this truck from the prior owner, I decided to ensure that the front end and brakes on this truck were going to be the best I could make them. Nothing worse than having a 3/4 ton scud missile going down the road, which is the way it felt when I first got it at about the 120,000 mile mark. The front end rebuild I performed was pretty complete and included the following upgrades:

- Solid Steel adjustable track bar and mount bracket to replace the OEM stud style end track bar
- Borgeson steering box and intermediate shaft
- Steering stabilizer (steel bar type with bearing at steering output shaft)
- Spohn upper and lower control arms with greaseable poly bushings
- all new ball joints, tie rod ends, front wheel bearings, U-joints, etc.
- 4 new LT285-75-16 Load range E Michelin LTX-AT2 tires

Truck is now a pleasure to drive

Old 02-26-2017, 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I was looking at steering boxes..... Redhead, Borgeson, PSC, and stock.... Borgeson and PSC are quite expensive.... Redhead is a remanned stock box, and the stock boxes are really hit and miss...... The Borgeson shaft is a nice unit, and eliminates some problem areas in the shaft, but, you are over 800 bucks just on those two pieces. Holy smoke. My budget just doesn't stretch that far.... I need warm weather. Then I can inspect my steering, and see where I need to start. On the 96, I was able to adjust up the box a bit, and take out 99% of the slop. (rest of the steering was in good shape.) The 98 has about 70K fewer miles on it, so, maybe I can get lucky.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Ram
Hello all, as we all have had steering issues with our Rams, I have movement on my radius arm bars on both sides and on both mounting locations on frame and on axle. Is a little movement normal or should I not be able to move it with a prybar? From what I can see the rubber looks ok from the outside but they do look original with 236K on the dash. Thanks...
Did you modify or previous owner the suspension? Stock suspension is 4 link, NOT radius arm. 2 individual control arms each side of axle. 2 points on axle, upper and lower, and 2 points on frame accordingly.

Yes it's normal to be able to move with pry bar. If it appears rubber is separated from housing and/or bolt sleeve, then yes replace them. It will take some work to remove the arms if not done previously.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Ram
There is noticeable movement at the axle I would say about an eighth of an inch. There has been a clunk when turning which was a bad shock bushing on the left side, but found the play in the arms when looking for the clunk.
What denn69 said.

You're likely clunk when driving is trackbar. On driverside bracket. That tie rod end setup does not last. Give a search and look at that.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I was looking at steering boxes..... Redhead, Borgeson, PSC, and stock.... Borgeson and PSC are quite expensive.... Redhead is a remanned stock box, and the stock boxes are really hit and miss...... The Borgeson shaft is a nice unit, and eliminates some problem areas in the shaft, but, you are over 800 bucks just on those two pieces. Holy smoke. My budget just doesn't stretch that far.... I need warm weather. Then I can inspect my steering, and see where I need to start. On the 96, I was able to adjust up the box a bit, and take out 99% of the slop. (rest of the steering was in good shape.) The 98 has about 70K fewer miles on it, so, maybe I can get lucky.
Before I did the front end replacement, I had adjusted the steering box at the worm gear, but it didn't last too long before it got sloppy again. After some research and shopping, I was able to find the Borgeson stuff at decent prices around the Christmas holiday a few years back.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 PM
2001 Ram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the movement again and yes you are right it is a 4 link set up. I was mistaken the correct name for the part I was describing. Track bar is tight on both sides. Still searching for the mysterious clunk.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Done anything with the shocks lately? Those fellers need the lower bolts torqued to something stupid like 110 ft/lbs......

Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 PM
2001 Ram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the bolts and shock bushings, both seem tight. Will tourqe wrench it to be sure.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Check those U-joints behind each front wheel. I experienced clunks from one of them (don't recall which side).

Old 02-26-2017, 09:58 PM
denn69
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U joints definetly clunk when turning if they are bad. But it would be repetitive. You will also hear a little ticking when going straight if you open the door in a parking lot and go slow with you head out the door. Sometimes it tough to tell if its a u joint but if you kick it in 4WD and turn theres no mistaking that. Check the sway bar also if you havent already.

Search this Thread