2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ram 1500 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Jacob Peterson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ram 1500 5.2

So I recently installed a new overhead consol before I only had the tray and lights I upgraded to the direction time and mpg I got the wiring harness and all I've got everything installed and everything works but for some reason the direction is always calibrating and the DTE won't go higher then 24mi even though I have half a tank of gas anyone have any idea how I could make this a little more accurate I just installed today so could it maybe need a little more time to calibrate or is something not compatible the wiring and consol came from a 2000 ram

Old 03-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Jacob Peterson
Rookie
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With those problems, sounds like you didn't grab everything. Your PCM may need to be flashed to recognize the "upgrade" to, what it thinks, is a different trim package of the truck. If that is even possible. The compass issue, sounds like there is a module that you missed. Check out the service manual.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

There is a procedure in the service manual for calibrating the compass. Basically, it consists of driving a figure 8 pattern three times..... That should let the compass figure out what's going on.

As for the rest, may need to check and see if the Central Timer module is a different part number for folks that have the console you installed, vs. the one that came in your truck.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is a procedure in the service manual for calibrating the compass. Basically, it consists of driving a figure 8 pattern three times..... That should let the compass figure out what's going on.

As for the rest, may need to check and see if the Central Timer module is a different part number for folks that have the console you installed, vs. the one that came in your truck.
Good call on the CTM.

Guess I assumed that calibration was already attempted. Sometimes it's just driving in a circle three times too.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Good call on the CTM.

Guess I assumed that calibration was already attempted. Sometimes it's just driving in a circle three times too.
It may have been a circle...... Yup, three full circles, taking at least 48 seconds per circle. (looked it up in the owners manual, that I actually got with my Replacement truck.)

Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Jacob Peterson
Rookie

so i got the compass and temp figured out now my only issue is my avg mpg is like 1.7-1.9 and I really feel that can't be right"At least I hope not haha" When I figure up my mpg it's usually around 8-10mpg and on the DTE it only goes to 27 still even after a full full up and what exactly does a ctm do and is it something I could just swap from the other truck

Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

CTM: Central Timer Module. Basically, its like a Hub, or Router, in computer networking. (as that is pretty much exactly what it is doing.) All information from the PCM, to the various devices that want it, (cluster, overhead console, diagnostic port) goes thru the CTM. It does some other tricks as well. (power locks, etc.) There are two different flavors, the 'standard' CTM, and the "High Line". High Line has more capabilities. I don't think there is any programming involved in swapping them, but, I do believe the High Line has an additional connector, as opposed to its lower level brother.

Best bet is to look up part numbers for the various options, and see if there are any differences......

Old 03-07-2017, 02:34 AM
Jacob Peterson
Rookie

So after a lot of work as I had the basic ctm i got the whole dash wireing harness in and the upgraded ctm from the junkyard truck and got it all installed on my truck and everything seems to work great and I also have new feature keyless entry but still having the problem of the mpg and DTE saying 1.7 And DTE not going over 27 were exactly does the ctm get that info from is it something in the fuel pump or something in the injector wiring maybe

Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

CTM gets all its cues from the PCM. Yes, the PCM even knows how much gas is in the tank. It may have to be programmed for what SIZE tank you have though. Or, it may be a different part number for different size fuel tanks. That would be a question for the service department of your local dodge dealer.