2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission problems.

Hello all!

First of all, let me introduce myself, i'm Laurens & from Belgium.
26 years old & love driving my dodge!
I'm an owner of 2 dodge rams, both second gen!

1997 dodge ram 2500 2Wheel drive & 5.9L
2001 dodge ram 1500 2Wheel drive & 5.2L

To start my story :
Few weeks ago, after work i had no reverse (5.2L).. Had to push it out of my parkingspot .. Called the transmission shop & they told me it's the reverseband and it's ok to drive it. So i continued and decided what i'd do, rebuild it ? is it worth it? My dodge has 210000miles, runs mostly on LPG , every now and then on gas.. Never had any serious troubles , except some rotted radiators & LPG problems.. But the car started using some oil & drinking water.. So i think one of my heads is blown.. Going to redo this myself.. Figured out it's worth the money , the state the dodge is in..

Now, that my trans is ****ed, would leave my truck in the shop for 2 weeks.. So i figured out the trans of my 5.9L fitted on it, Everything is the same from connections & bolts, the torque fitting on the engine..

So yesterday we did the swap.. The 5.9L trans into my 5.2L .. Oiled it up , started it up, ride it for a half mile, back to the workshop, filled it up a bit more.. On first instances it drove well, think it took all 4 gears, no shaking no noises.. After a longer drive ( less then 5miles ) it started taking longer to shift ( higher RPMS ) , and wouldn't take 4th , but again, no weird noises or shakings... ( On my 5.9L it drove verry good )

Also first the car wouldn't start, No Bus message.. Figured out the crankshaft sensor ? cable was stuck between engine/trans for a small part.. took the tranny off , cable out, looked in good shape, started after bolting everything back..

Some other problems i had with my 5.2L is that when starting up i hear a loud sucking noise, air sucking.. i've readed cleaning the throttlebody could do the trick ( Not done yet ).. Sometimes when starting up it idles weird ( plenum gasket? need to check to ) mostly on cold starts both..

Could i link my oil usage to a plenum gasket?

Also saw that the starter on the trans of my 5.9L is newer then my 5.2L one, so swapped it..

Anyone any suggestions :P Wonder what my problems might be..

Thanks alot for already reading this

Old 03-05-2017, 04:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The electronics inside the trans are different from 97 to 01. Need to swap over the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. (and the retainer for them)

Oil consumption could be the plenum, or, it could be worn rings, bad pcv, and a few other things. Fixing the plenum is never a bad idea... so, might just as well start there.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Called with the Trans shop, they told me the Trans is going in failuremode cause of a bad connector possible.. when looking at the Trans theres one round connector that looks like it's not completely in there, i'll look for a pic

Old 03-06-2017, 06:30 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Old 03-06-2017, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think you can actually get that pigtail from the parts stores....... A bad connection there would certainly give you some strange behavior.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you can actually get that pigtail from the parts stores....... A bad connection there would certainly give you some strange behavior.
Somebody here might have to send him one, he's in Belgium. (Or online, international shipping?)

Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Somebody here might have to send him one, he's in Belgium. (Or online, international shipping?)
Yeah, that could be a problem.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:32 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will fall on my sword for this forum though, and physically deliver it myself, if someone else will pick up the tab. Hell, I'll even install it.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

So you guys think i'll have to get another connector maybe? Or what is the pigtail for? Convertor? And can anybody link to it? Looked on eBay partnumber 12445BK , can someone look if it's this? Can't copy link on my cellphone..

Last edited by Laurens Moja; 03-06-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Btw , before i left to work, i've picked a metal piece, and looked in the socket of the connector, appears to be some grease/oil/DiRT on the end, So i guess this is my problem ? After work i'll look to disconnect the battery and spray the connector & socket with some degreaser , which is qualified for PCB's & blow it out with the compressor.. hope this does the trick maybe?

Btw thanks alot for the support y'all!!!!