2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic Rattles until it warms up

Old 03-10-2017, 11:54 AM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Rattles until it warms up

For at least a year my catalytic converter has rattled like a marble inside until it warms up, then all stops and all is well (no codes ever thrown). Yesterday, it rattled more than usual, so I crawled under and listen and am sure it was coming from catalytic converter. When getting back into truck to take off, it ran rough, stunk and threw a code that was P0132. After checking code I reset it and it drove fine. Still today same, rattle until gets hot then no noise and runs fine no codes.

I usually don't let it idle so long, just get in and go so it warms up quick, I think that P0132 is from the O2 sensor getting something from the rattling catalytic converter it didn't like and fuel mixture was screwed. There is a sensor on the catalytic and one behind, I think one is upstream and the other downstream? I don't know.

Anyway my question is, to catalytic converters just wear out like that on these Rams, I have 199,415 miles on it? Should I get the catalytic converter replaced, they want $390 and will reuse the old O2 sensor? I don't want to mess around with trying to fool the computer by bypassing, in Kansas there are no inspections, I just don't want to mess with it.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

You can get a magna-flow high-flow cat for that kind of money. (or less, if you look around....) They are direct fit as well. Take off the old one, bolt in the new one, down the road you go.

yes, cats fail. Usually for a reason. If you haven't replaced your O2 sensors yet though, I would certainly consider doing so. They also have a finite lifespan.... (I think they are recommended maintenance items at 60K or so.....)

Old 03-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Order a Magnaflow with Y pipe and take it to a local muffler shop. Shouldn't be more than $300 total for everything. I think my last Cat was $200 plus install.

I'm on my 3rd Cat (2nd Magnaflow) and I'm at 215k. It really helps open up the exhaust. Of course, you can remove it completely or gut it and use O2 foilers.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
diverjer
Professional

I am not going to mess with exhaust myself, hate working with exhaust. I got that quote from a trusted shop in Topeka. I figured their quote is just cut out old and weld in new, no new Y pipe. I did see Magnaflow sticker on their door, but didn't ask what they used as standard cat. I figure with 199,400 + miles I am skating on thin ice, don't want to spend too much and then have major problems. This engine hasn't been touched, nor has transmission. I have taken excellent care maintenance wise.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If its the truck in your sig pic, and it is still in that good of shape, I would spend the money, and do it right. It still looks to be in excellent condition... so, worth sinking some bucks into.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

96 had a recall on the cats. This is what mine looked like on the inside.

Replaced it with the magnaflow and two new NTK 02's. Now i don't have to shut off the truck to order food at a drive threw.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 PM
diverjer
Professional

People are surprised when I tell them this truck is a 1996. The pic here doesn't show there was a tiny rust spot above the fiberglass on each rear fender and one front fender. Since 2012 when that pic was taken they have grown, the rust spots are about an inch long, by 1/2 high. No cracks in dash or tears in seats, all original. I would think there is lots of rust under that fiberglass I don't see, it been on there since new.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be tempted to take it off and look.... Fix it now, while it is cheap and easy.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

There was a recall on most cats on 2nd gens (mine had one) but it lasted longer than the recall date. I don't remember but it was something like 5 years and under 100k. Mine failed at 110k so it wasn't covered. But I went with Magnaflow and it was way cheaper than stock and actually made a difference in power and sound.

Amazon seems to be down otherwise I'd link the part for ya.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 AM
getdown78
Veteran

My truck is a 96 and hasen't had a cat since it was a month old ! Just something else to go wrong that i don't have to worry about !

Search this Thread