2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

375-450HP Streetable Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally dislike Hemi's, as good as they are :\ Theyre on the newer side of things, and the old magnums have that muscle car charm to them that the Hemi's don't for me. Though Id love to see me some loud hellcat hemi in a nice ram rebel

I think when the time comes, I'll find a good reputation shop and get it stroked to 408 and built properly to have high HP without having a crappy torque curve, love the way they sound to say the least. And obviously a good transmission would be in order as well :P Just dreaming of the day this is a reality, unless something happens to get made that tickles my fancy better, but seems unlikely that will happen, at least south of $50K haha

Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Don't build for horsepower. Build for that fat torque curve. You will be much happier with the result.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I personally dislike Hemi's, as good as they are :\ Theyre on the newer side of things, and the old magnums have that muscle car charm to them that the Hemi's don't for me.
Hemi's are not new, They where around before the LA motor. Unfortunately it took Chrysler 30 years for them to bring it back. "modern hemi" Funny you bring this up because i was thinking of putting a "modern hemi" in front of the 46RE along with everything else. They make an adapter to mate it up and they also make timing cover with a distributor. Everything to fool the stock pcm in thinking it's the magnum. Not sure how it would run with out a tune. It's still in the idea stage though.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Boost is the easiest and can be done on a stock bottom end.
$1200 for EQs with better springs
$600 for airgap
$400 for cam (all said and done)
$250 53mm tb
$300 minimum for full 3" exhaust and headers
$3500 for tuner kit through ATI Procharger
varied cost for sct tuning.

I'd like to point out FRP tuned a truck last summer that made 525hp and 640 lb/tq AT THE TIRES on a factory bottom end. That was Eddie heads, 58mm tb, airgap, big cam, longtubes and true duals, 10psi from blower

you can make 450 crank hp pretty easily on factory cam with boost and not have to tear into engine hardly at all