2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! '97 5.2 4x4 --- Intermittent Stall/No Start issues, computer maybe?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Johnny762x51@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully. Then again I would be quite irritated to come to the realization that it was that simple of a fix that's left me dead for 20 minutes at a time. Only time will tell. I'll hopefully begin my endurance tests sometime this week.

As for the still existing code, there is most definitely a massive exhaust leak on the truck. Anytime my father used to borrow my truck for afternoon beer runs while I was sleeping in the day working third shift, the truck (parked 30 feet away from my bedroom) would typically wake me up with its rumbling. I'm willing to bet that one of the o2 sensors is what is setting off that code.

If I remember correctly, one bank of the exhaust goes all the way through the system, whilst the other side of the engine is disconnected just before the cat, giving it a kind of nice half-open, half-muffler growl. Regardless, as I said its got 324k miles on it. Or at least that's what the odometer was at when it stopped turning

Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Let us know what ya find out.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Johnny762x51@gmail.com

Well its been about a week now and ive made a point to drive the truck around a few places throughout the week, clocking probably about 40 or 50 miles on it.

GOOD NEWS: it has stalled! why is that good you ask? because it started right up afterwards. Have yet to see any more crank-no-start issues.

now I just get to sort out the other bugs that were previously hidden.

It's stalled once while trying to blip the throttle to back into the driveway over a curb, and once just before turning into a 7-11 (at which I gracefully strong armed in into a parking spot).

My only culprit so far is the fact that I am running extremely lean. I have a code for bank 1 lean limit, and am strongly considering going over the plenum cover 'neath the intake to check that out.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

How old are you O2 sensors?

Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Johnny762x51@gmail.com

02 sensors are hard to guess the age of, I've only owned the truck for a fraction of its life and they certainly weren't replaced under my watch yet.

However the data from the OBD-II scanner doesn't lead me to believe they are faulty. they both show similar warm up times, 02 readings, voltages, etc that implies to me that they are both functioning normally.

The only explanation I could think of that would pertain to the 02 sensors being at fault is if my exhaust leak could be allowing ambient atmosphere into the exhaust pipes and allowing them to perceive an excess of oxygen in the exhaust.

However I intend to both attempt to rectify the exhaust leak/02 sensor probable cause, as well as investigate my intake plenum

Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Arwhitford
Default Crank sensor

Originally Posted by Johnny762x51@gmail.com
02 sensors are hard to guess the age of, I've only owned the truck for a fraction of its life and they certainly weren't replaced under my watch yet.

However the data from the OBD-II scanner doesn't lead me to believe they are faulty. they both show similar warm up times, 02 readings, voltages, etc that implies to me that they are both functioning normally.

The only explanation I could think of that would pertain to the 02 sensors being at fault is if my exhaust leak could be allowing ambient atmosphere into the exhaust pipes and allowing them to perceive an excess of oxygen in the exhaust.

However I intend to both attempt to rectify the exhaust leak/02 sensor probable cause, as well as investigate my intake plenum
Have you tried the crank sensor? Mine would stall at random. I would have to wait a few moments and then restart it back up. Turns out mine was a old crank sensor. Was a $60 fix. Mine would just stall out. No check engine lights or anything, would just shut off randomly

Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 AM
Johnny762x51@gmail.com

Have you tried the crank sensor? Mine would stall at random. I would have to wait a few moments and then restart it back up. Turns out mine was a old crank sensor. Was a $60 fix. Mine would just stall out. No check engine lights or anything, would just shut off randomly
I'd considered that possibility when I was dealing with the initial problem this thread covered, but ruled it out due to the aforementioned quirks related to the fuel system.

The sort of behavior it exhibits now when it stalls is more of a weak-running issue, accompanied by a lean-mixture indication from my scanner.

I will however be looking into replacing all the major sensors that I have not already replaced, including the crank sensor, simply because the truck is so old and could use the refreshing, assuming the current engine is in the truck long enough to need them before I finish rebuilding my 408 carb stroker project going in it eventually

Search this Thread