97 Ram dies when decelerating, but starts back up - DodgeForum.com

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram dies when decelerating, but starts back up

Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 AM
Jedeka

Default 97 Ram dies when decelerating, but starts back up

I'm finishing up my winter project. I built a 97 1500 EC 4x4 with a 408 out of my rusty 94 Ram, 46RE trans, 241DLD and Dana 44/60 axle combo. The 97 came with a bad 5.2L. I have had it up and running around my shop and starts up every time with the key. I took it for a drive today and it stumbled a little when I got on the throttle. A mile down the road, I let off the throttle to make a right turn and the truck died. It fired right back up, but I don't remember if I pushed on gas pedal or not. I drove back a mile to the shop and it died again when making a turn. I will pull and clean IAC, but wondering if using the stock 5.2L ECM could cause this problem. I'm waiting for an SCT tune, but wanted to get a few easy miles on the truck to check over my work. I have 24# injectors and fuel pump pressure was at 45# when I first got the truck running. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

You need a tune on the ecm for that 408 to run right. The 5.2 tune is going to be running incredibly lean on a 408..... That'll give you some odd performance problems......

Welcome to DF!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Jedeka

Thanks. I will wait until my tune shows up.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Let us know how it works. And how you like it.

I wanted to do a 408 for my 96, but, that just wasn't in the budget.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Jedeka

Would a 5.9 ECM make it driveable until my tune? I have had the 408 in my 94 for several years. I used a piggyback tuner for the OBD l system. I started having some issues with it running and support didn't exist for the piggyback. The 408 was going in this 97, so I drove it a bit with the stock 5.9 ECM and ran fine. I knew that if I wanted to get the most out of the 408 and the 97 had a 5.2, a tune would be required. I'm on Flyin Ryan's list for a tune. The 408 is very responsive off idle and has plenty of torque. I had an issue with a small cam and my piston selection. Hughes engines helped me get it sorted out and I installed their Air Gap manifold. I will keep you posted on my tune.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

5.9 pcm would prolly be better, same issues, just to a smaller degree. In closed loop, the PCM *should* be able to compensate for more cubes.... but, in open loop, it is still gonna run lean.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Jedeka

That's exactly how it runs. Closed loop, it ran good when I drove it a mile down the road and back. Yesterday, the coolant temps got up to normal range on my way home and hesitated, had lean hiccups on acceleration, then died when I let off the throttle when I went to turn a corner. It looks like I will have to be patient until I get my tune. Thanks !!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

How old are your O2 sensors? Wonder if they are lying.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Jedeka

Both o2 sensors are brand new. Previous owner let wires and connector touch the exhaust. I had to do some repair work/replacing on the wiring harness.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

What brand sensors? Our trucks don't really care overmuch for the bosch fellers.

Cleaned the throttle body?

Search this Thread