2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stubborn Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:59 AM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubborn Shifter

I have a 98 Ram 1500 with a 360 and an auto. Lately the shifter has been really stubborn when i try to take the truck out of park. Is there a way to get the shifter back to normal function? A part i need to grease maybe?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:04 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not in the habit of using the parking brake, that's probably the cause of some bending deep in the innards of the transmission. If that's the case you can put off rebuild day by getting into the habit of setting the parking brake before shifting into Park, and releasing it again only after shifting out of Park.

If that's not the case you'll have to hunt for the source of the binding. Try disconnecting the linkage at the transmission end and (with engine off, park brake on, wheels chocked, etc.) moving things by hand. In the typical case, though, shift linkage gets looser rather than tighter over time.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If you're not in the habit of using the parking brake, that's probably the cause of some bending deep in the innards of the transmission. If that's the case you can put off rebuild day by getting into the habit of setting the parking brake before shifting into Park, and releasing it again only after shifting out of Park.

If that's not the case you'll have to hunt for the source of the binding. Try disconnecting the linkage at the transmission end and (with engine off, park brake on, wheels chocked, etc.) moving things by hand. In the typical case, though, shift linkage gets looser rather than tighter over time.

I typically apply the parking brake and i know everything inside the tranny is in good shape because i've recently gone through it. That's what led me to believe there is something like an external linkage that needs to be greased. I've only had fords before this and i've never run into this problem before so im still trying to learn about dodges.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Check the linkage. Disconnect it at various points, and try moving the shifter, need to find out where the bind is, then you can address it.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:21 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Also want to check the bearing at the end of the steering column under the hood where the
steering shaft hooks to column.
If its bad it can cause binding also.

Dave