2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum plate/gasket replacement

Old 03-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Tboned
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
A handy little tip I learned when installing my intake the first time;
Since you should be using new bolts anyway, cut the head off of 4 of the old manifold bolts then cut a good notch into the top of them. This let's you slide the intake over the modified bolts to keep it from shifting around during install, then use a screwdriver if needed to remove them. Make sure to start a few of the new bolts before removing the modified set to keep everything in place.
I used your advice on mine and worked like a charm!

Old 04-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Rtsitler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done!

Installed the Hughes plenum kit, new plugs, oil changed, and thermostat yesterday.
went pretty well, only took us like 6 hours to get it done.
also replaced the fuel injector o rings..
I bought new o2 sensors but the check engine light for them hasn't come back on so I haven't changed them yet...
truck runs somewhat better but I fear that the cat is clogged due to the intake gasket being bad....

not sure if I'm going to replace the cat again or just say screw it and gut it.... I've investeda ton of time and money in this beast and not sure I want to put too much more into it.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rtsitler
Installed the Hughes plenum kit, new plugs, oil changed, and thermostat yesterday.
went pretty well, only took us like 6 hours to get it done.
also replaced the fuel injector o rings..
I bought new o2 sensors but the check engine light for them hasn't come back on so I haven't changed them yet...
truck runs somewhat better but I fear that the cat is clogged due to the intake gasket being bad....

not sure if I'm going to replace the cat again or just say screw it and gut it.... I've investeda ton of time and money in this beast and not sure I want to put too much more into it.
Start the truck and wipe your finger around the base of each injector to check for gas. Sometimes they don't seal right on the first go and you don't want gas bubbling out right above a 500º exhaust manifold.

Search this Thread