2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:16 AM
yellowoctupus
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fog Light Wiring

Hi All,

So, I have a 2001 Ram 4x4 that did not come with fog lights from the factory (I believe) and I'm a little befuddled trying to get them working now.

A. The fuse box does have terminals installed in the sockets of Fog Light Relay 2. Fog Light Relay 1 sockets are empty.

B. I have a fog light switch to install (pull **** to turn on fogs in Park/Headlights ON mode, otherwise visually similar to the non-fog light switch). It's from a 2000 Ram 1500, and the plug for "Headlight Switch C2" is in the loom 6" from "Headlight Switch C1".

C. The headlight harness is already wired with the fog light plugs. I will be snipping them off to wire in my own lights, but regardless, they match the diagrams for color and connector style.

D. The dash harness in the '01 Factory Parts Manual appears like there are no differences between a harness that would include fog lights or not. This is one point I'm lost on. My harness doesn't seem to have any provisions for "Headlight Switch C2" (the small two conductor plug).

E. In the factory service manual, I cannot for the life of me figure out what would energize the Fog Lamp Relay. I THINK the Headlamp Beam Select Switch (21) is a ground to 86 on the relay , and then so is 85 on the relay! ????

ANY insight would be helpful on the location of the plug for the fog lights, and or how the fog light relay is supposed to work. I'm befuddled!

Thanks!

Fog Light Diagram 2001 Dodge Ram

Headlamp Switch C1 C2 Pinout 2001 Dodge Ram

Multifunction (hi/lo/flasher/wipers) pinout 2001 Dodge Ram

Phil's ******

Last edited by yellowoctupus; 08-07-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added Willys Picture
The following users liked this post:
Mike n Teri (08-05-2019)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Not sure if it's the same on your year but from what the print shows it is. The headlight switch supplies a ground to the relay to turn on the fogs(pin 87). Some options the wiring is not there and you will have to add it.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I understand you want the factory look but if you hit a brick wall you can do what I did: wired up separate lights and relays. I did this 6 years ago and since I've had to replace the lights twice and the relay once but so far, all is still well. I used a round lit switch and installed it into the hole where the power mirrors switch would go if I had it. Nice clean look and works for me. There's plenty of relay wiring diagrams on the web so just use the one you like.

Also, my ST trim came with a harness that is hanging by the bumper for the fog lights. Not sure how if all I needed was a dash switch but I never pursued that route. Yours may too have that hanging down there. Maybe its only on tow packages which I have.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:12 AM
yellowoctupus
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Less foggy results...

The headlight switch supplies a ground to the relay to turn on the fogs(pin 87). Some options the wiring is not there and you will have to add it.
Yes, there's something weird about the diagram though, either a typo or something that seems to show that the fog lights can only come on with the hazards or Hi beams on which is the opposite of how it actually works, and that there's 12V being fed to the "Headlight Beam Select Switch" as opposed to the pinouts which show wire 21 as a ground.

I understand you want the factory look but...
My truck (the ****** in the picture up there) is probably the furthest thing from stock possible, but when I can keep wires in the stock harness, I do. Otherwise, it can be such a headache trying to hunt down problems a few years down the road. There's enough 'custom' going on already!

So, what I ended up finding out is that the truck's Dash Harness (contrary to what I found in the parts book) did not have the provisions for the for light plug on the headlight switch. However, the harness that goes through the firewall (at connector C134) had the wires on the other side of the harness, so I just snipped it at the harness, and wired the new switch to those wires.

Bingo bongo, done. Just had to install a relay in the box at Fog Light Relay 2, and I have 12v+ground at the light plugs themselves.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:57 PM
Jeepguy68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which wire color for fog light on headlight switch

I am looking for color wire for fog light on headlight switch in my 2007 Dodge ram 1500. do you have picture of color wires on headlight switch, which wires for fog light.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepguy68
I am looking for color wire for fog light on headlight switch in my 2007 Dodge ram 1500. do you have picture of color wires on headlight switch, which wires for fog light.
You need to post in the third gen ram section.

The following users liked this post:
MoparFanatic21 (06-25-2019)