2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whistle noise when cold..

Old 12-21-2005, 12:56 AM
lamby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistle noise when cold..

Hey all, I am new to the boards but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I am at the end of my rope with dealer and I have no clue what is wrong. Here goes, when it gets cold out (35* and down) my truck develops a loud whistle (like a tea kettle) while driving. It does it while accelerating but if I let off the gas or gas it more it goes away briefly but returns a short time later. It does not go away when the truck reaches operating temp. It is definatly not the serpintene belt either. The dealer can't seem to get it to make the noise (B.S.) and surprise, my factory warranty recently expiered (imagine that...). I am done with the dealer so if anyone can offer anything please let me know. Thanks in advance!
2001 Ram 1500 4x4
5.2L w/ auto tranny

Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker
Default RE: whistle noise when cold..

could just be throttle body i really dont know other than that whistles in mine but all the time, maybe ur just now noticing, sorry i cant be much of any help

Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

Models: 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Trucks

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 4X4 SPORT MODELS EQUIPPED WITH THE OFF- ROAD PACKAGE.

Discussion:
If a high pitch whistle is heard coming from the front of the vehicle while the vehicle is moving between 48 - 97 km/h (30 - 60 mph), inspect the position of the tie rod adjusting sleeve slot. If the slot is facing forward, the slot could catch air passing by it which could cause the whis- tle. To verify if the tie rod adjusting sleeve slot is causing the whistle, wrap tape around the sleeve so that the slot is completely covered (including the ends) and driving the vehicle in the suspect range. If the high pitch whistle sound is still heard, further diagnosis is required. If the sound has been corrected, position the tie rod adjusting sleeve so that the slot faces any direction except forward.

NOTE: WHEN ADJUSTING THE FRONT TOE OF THE VEHICLE, MAKE SURE THAT THE TIE ROD ADJUSTING SLEEVE IS SECURED IN A POSITION SO THAT THE SLOT IS
IN ANY DIRECTIO
N EXCEPT FORWARD.

hope this helps

Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tierod bulletin doesnt answer your question, check the gasket on the TB airhat, if it is broken or dispaced can cause a whistle under the hood, I had that problem with mine when I first got it, was displaced and cause a whistle going down the road and under acceleration.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
lamby

Good suggestions, where is the TB air hat gasket? I am pretty good at turning a wrench and I know I can locate the TB but never heard of air hat gasket. Dont think its the tie rod boot 'cause like I said it only does it when it's cold. Keep the suggestions comming, this is driving me nuts!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

ok i have a broket air hat gasket but i got it in there just right where it wont fall apart further and function, where can i get one and how much are they?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
EMRJPV

I had a similar problem on my 98. It turned out to be a water pump. The way to check is to find where the fan on the front of the motor goes into the engine housing on front . Try to see if there is any play in the shaft where the fan is attached to the engine itself. If so there is your problem. If unsure then go to nearest autoparts store and let them look at it and see if it loose. Fixed mine and no whine.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get one at Autozone for like 1.29, just tell them its the gasket on top of TB, I really don't know official name of it. And If that doesnt work, most definately check your waterpump like was suggested, bearings can make that noise also.

ORIGINAL: Ram_Sport

ok i have a broket air hat gasket but i got it in there just right where it wont fall apart further and function, where can i get one and how much are they?

Old 12-22-2005, 02:39 AM
big_bizzle

autozone calls it the "mounting air filter gasket" and did you ever think its the IAC, mine whistles when its cold, while your there clesn your throttle body out.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
lamby

Thanks guys, I will check the gasket and the water pump this weekend when I get a chance. You guys are awsome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whistle noise when cold..