2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
jdcovert
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane Booster

Just bought a Superchips Max Micro Tuner for my '01 Ram 5.9 Ltr. Superchips recommends the use of a 91+ octane fuel. Would adding bottles of octane booster to 87 octane fuel do the job? Or should I just get premium gas at the pump? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
dodge_boy31807
Professional
Default RE: Octane Booster

I would go ahead and put 91 octane in the truck. It will cost .20 more a gallon but it will save money down the road. A buddy of mine has a super chip in his truck and didn't run 91 octane in it and it wouldn't run up to its standards. But when he put in 91 octane in the tank, that is when she had power. Go with 91 octane and see what happens and then try the octane booster. See which one does the best. But if it were me, go with 91 octane.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Koldkut
Rookie

what about that superchip has increased your compression ratio? Compression ratio is really the only thing I can think of that would make you need higher octane fuel....is it going to void a warrenty?

Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

You have to run premium fuel to reduce knock (pre-mature detonation). Most programs/programers (or reprogrammed ECUs/PCMs) put a larger shot of fuel in each cylinder each time, and most also play with the ignition timing. I'm not going to get into all the octane ratings and what they mean (it's been discussed here before in a different thread) but basically if you run regular, you risk the chance of having a poorly running motor, with lots of knock. That knock in turn could destroy your motor.

As far as the question at hand, DO NOT use octane boosters in place of premium mixed at the pump. NOT a good idea

Old 01-07-2006, 04:39 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

That's what I was thinking, but wanted a second opinion. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Octane Booster