2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

low pitch humming noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 AM
joemommaaa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low pitch humming noise while driving

hi, i am getting a low pitch humming noise while driving. The truck is an 01 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5" skyjacker lift. The noise is always there when your driving, even on smooth road. But when i pull on the steering wheel, the noise will go away. Doesnt matter if i pull up, down or sideways, aslong as there is pressure on the wheel, the noise goes away. Anyone have this problem before or know what this could be? thanks for any help

Old 01-07-2006, 06:05 PM
melhoff13
Rookie
Default RE: low pitch humming noise while driving

I hear you on the noise. I hear this same noise evertime I accelerate, take my foot off the gas and it stops. Not sure what it is, but these Rams sure make a lot of funny noises. I also have a swooshing sound sometime when I accelerate, but it only seems to depend on which way I am driving into the wind. Sounds like something inside the hood catches air when driving into the wind. I am new to dodge, but I have never heard noises like these on any of my other trucks. Truck drive great, has a lot of power, rides really smooth, but the noises are annoying. I'm not sure if these noises are normal, but I would like to know what everyone here thinks. Do I need to have it looked at or are they normal. I am not a wrench turner (at all), so any work needs to be outsourced....hehe. I have a warranty so most mechanical failure problems are paid for, so i'm not real worried about the $$.

Sorry I couldn't answer your questions, but I know how it feels. By the way, mine is also a 2001, but not a 4x4. I've never tried lifting the steering to see if the noise stops, I will have to check that out.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 PM
magnum mike
Rookie
Default RE: low pitch humming noise while driving

If you pull on the wheel and the noise changes you should look at your wheel bearings and preload on them, maybe your low on axle greese. Not sure but just something to lok at.

Quick Reply: low pitch humming noise while driving