2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

woot! new O2 sensor, all my problems are disappearing!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:43 AM
radwebster
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woot! new O2 sensor, all my problems are disappearing!

finally got around to replacing my front O2 sensor...huge difference so far. first thing i noticed, it idles alot smoother. second, didn't throw any check engine lights for days now. power seems alot smoother. and i'm still checking, but it looks like my MPG's have finally climbed above 5

and totally unrelated, but for some reason improved...my blower motor used to squeak like crap all the time, hasn't made a peep since new O2. and my steering used to have a sticking point in it, the sticking point has gotten much smaller, almost gone entirely.

it's like a new truck!

next up...buying a week old set of 33 inch mickey thompson baja claws mounted on mickey thomson chrome wheels for $500... i plan to get some pics after that.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:46 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Default RE: woot! new O2 sensor, all my problems are disappearing!

might have to look into that for my truck.. kindof have a rough idle and smells kinda funking.. is there any aftermarket o2 sensors or are they all the same??

Old 03-27-2006, 04:21 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ive heard not to use the ones from autozone..i think bosche makes them. i gues they can be crappy..not sure what the fella above used .. i had to get a new one .. i ended getting the mopar one from the stealer cost me 120 bux .. didnt end needing it thank god

Old 03-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

NGK are supposed to be pretty decent. I have replaced my front one and made a differenc, but since both my cats are missing in action a LOOOOOONNGGG time ago, its probly time to do the rear

Old 03-27-2006, 05:13 AM
radwebster
Captain

i got a bosch replacement from NAPA for $59.99. only took 5 minutes to install, been working great. here's the syptoms i was having, in case someone else is having the same thing:
rough idle
5 MPG's
raw fuel smell
throwing codes, setting off check engine light
tons of black carbon coming out of pipe
black smoke out of exhaust at idle

Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

i dont have black smoke or carbon but i tuned up my engine and all and my exhaust still smells nasty.. not to much like rotten eggs but you can still tell somethings wrong with the exhaust

Old 03-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Black97Sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: 20dodgeram01

i dont have black smoke or carbon but i tuned up my engine and all and my exhaust still smells nasty.. not to much like rotten eggs but you can still tell somethings wrong with the exhaust

Sounds like a bad cat to me man[:@]

Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Wile C
Professional

I tried to replace my o2 sensor for the hell of it and I bought the tool and it was too long to work. Then I could not locate the connector on the tranny. I bought a Bosche and then returned it since I was unable to the the old one off. Any suggestions on how to find the connectors? I couldn't reach the ends where they connected on top of the tranny.

thanks for any advice

Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Its like finding the "you know what spot" on a woman. Its there, you gotta do some digging, dont be afraid to get both hands and a flash light in there.

Follow the wires up and at the top is where the connectors should be

Old 03-28-2006, 01:28 AM
radwebster
Captain

i followed the wires from the O2 up to the top of the trans. the problem is, there is the little prong on the side of the connector to hold it in place on the transmission.
what i did was rock the connector back and forth a few times until the prong broke off, then i could move the connector over and see what the hell i was doing.
the new O2 sensor has a new prong on it if you wanted to put it back, but there was hardly any slack in the line, so i didn't see the need to even put the prong back in.

and i must say, this has been the first time i have finally travelled over 45 miles on $20 (9 gallons)worth of gas, and it feels awesome! looks like i'll be back around 12-15 mpg (hopefully). i'll report back on what i actually get

Quick Reply: woot! new O2 sensor, all my problems are disappearing!