2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram ABS & Brake Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sensor is right on top of the rear diff, favored to the driverside.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM
MikeRC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very simple to replace too. 1/2 and 9/16 socket, screwdriver, pair of channel locks, rubber hammer and some WD40 is all you will need. Took me maybe half an hour in my driveway. Cost was 42.00 at Advance Auto.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
99-1500

Originally Posted by jrp267
Where is the sensor located? Anyone got a pic? I have the same problem, and it is really irritating me.
No sweat, jrp267. If you're still having a problem, the sensor is on top of the differential. Here are a couple photos:
http://s655.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0424.jpg

My speedometer started waving wildly, and the ABS light came on. I just got done with the repair, but I didn't have to replace the sensor. That tattered looking 2-wire cable in the photo comes from the frame, down the e-brake cable, and loops over the sensor. Some brush or tall grass must have knocked it loose and nicked the conductor inside (look for a break or a kink in the wire). A little solder & heatshrink & patience, and it works like new!

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM
1Ashman
Default 1999 Dodge Dakota ABS & Brake Light Intermittent

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota whose ABS & Brake Light comes on intermittently. I've replace the Speed Sensor on the Rear Differential now 3 times, but the problem is still there. Any other suggestions??? Am getting ready to sell the truck and would like to get the problem fixed.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Ashman
I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota whose ABS & Brake Light comes on intermittently. I've replace the Speed Sensor on the Rear Differential now 3 times, but the problem is still there. Any other suggestions??? Am getting ready to sell the truck and would like to get the problem fixed.
RWAL, or 4WAL?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
dodgetsj
Default ABS and BRAKE light on, but speedo still works below 25MPH

I saw this post while searching for a reason why both my ABS and brake light are on. I thought this might be my solution, but want to be sure. I have a 1997 dodge ram sport, with a manual transmission. I only have rear wheel ABS, since there are no wheel speed sensors on the front wheels. Since my truck is a standard, doesn't that mean that the rear differential ABS sensor is also my speed sensor? Since my speedometer works fine, I do not see how the sensor can have failed. Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? The lights are constantly on as soon as I start the truck and press on the brake petal. I have to get the truck inspected soon, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed sensor for speedometer is different from ABS sensor even on a standard transmission. This rear sensors count is compared to speed sensor on trans and will engage RAWL if the rate is different.

There is a procedure to test RAWL in the Haynes Manual, if you have one. I would think that it is also in the factory service manual, available for download in the FAQ/DIY section here on DF.

Keep us posted as this topic comes up often. Oh, and welcome to DF!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
RWAL, or 4WAL?
You know, i've had this problem for a long time, sensor in diff replaced, unplug battery and it goes away for about 4 running hours. 4x4, any suggestions?

*hopefully it goes away with the d70

Old 03-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Ben Harris
Default Try the brake light switch

Had the same problem.
Also had no brake lights.
In searching for the brake light issue, I replaced he brake light switch and also found the seatbelt fuse was pulled and replaced that.
I still have no brake lights, but the ABS/brake lights shut off and I finally have working ABS.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Buck Rid
Exclamation Abs, Brake, and ZERO speedometer

I have a 99 Dodge ram 1500 that has the brake light, the abs light, and no speedometer (not at any speed) how do i fix this?

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram ABS & Brake Warning Lights